Mr. Morán previously practiced in Mexico City as a partner in the corporate and energy departments of the full-service firm Goodrich Riquelme. He also worked on secondment for the marine, trade and energy group of Hill Dickinson in London. Mr. Morán is a dual-qualified lawyer in Mexico and Texas.
- Representing an IOC in being awarded multiple contracts in 2013, 2015 and 2016 for the sale of LNG to Pemex and CFE.
- Advised one of the leading natural gas companies in the world on a proposed project for the supply of natural gas to Pemex through a floating regasification (FLNG) unit in Mexico.
- Representing a Floating Production, Storage and Offloading (FPSO) owner and operator in their negotiations with Pemex for a proposed project for the design, engineering, conversion, installation, delivery and 10-year operation and maintenance of a FPSO unit.
Midstream / Pipeline Projects
- Representing a British independent engineering company and a US management services company in the creation of a consortium with two other Mexican companies and the awarding of a US$1.4 billion long-term Pemex contract to repair, maintain and manage a set of undersea pipelines, a group of off-shore facilities and an on-shore storage complex.
- Representing one of the first gas station company groups to ever receive a gasoline import permit in Mexico in the negotiation of a long-term fuel supply agreement with a US supplier.
- Representing a multinational energy company in a tendering procedure conducted by CFE for the design, engineering, procurement, construction, operation and maintenance of a gas pipeline.
Oil & Gas
- Representing an NYSE-listed deep-water drilling company in the negotiations and execution of several jack-up rig lease agreements with Pemex. Aggregate deal value US$1.6 billion.
- Representing a NYSE-listed deep-water drilling company in the assignment of several Pemex jack-up rig lease agreements.
- Representing an oil rig owner (UAE investment fund) in its proposed lease of an oil rig to a Mexican company participating in a Pemex tendering procedure.
- Representing a Chinese electronics and appliances manufacturer in the acquisition of a Japanese TV manufacturing plant in Rosarito, Mexico–including obtaining merger control clearance from the Mexican Federal Competition Commission.
- Representing one of the world's largest aircraft leasing companies in the notification to the Mexican Federal Economic Competition Commission of a US$5 billion worldwide acquisition in the aircraft financing sector.
- Representing a global trading company in the proposed acquisition of the largest Pemex asphalt distributor in Mexico.
- Representing a global midstream and downstream energy company in its proposed acquisition of a port facility in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Representing an international technology company in the formation of a consortium and its participation in a public procurement procedure for the sale and installation in Mexico of one of the largest VSAT networks in Latin America.
- Representing a NASDAQ-listed technology company in a project for the construction, manufacturing and integration of advanced, high-performance electronic and electro-optic systems for a Mexican governmental agency.
- Representing a NASDAQ-listed company in a sale of highly advanced electronic systems to a Mexican federal agency.
- Representing an international airport operator in the formation of a consortium and its participation in a public procurement procedure for the design, construction and operation of an international airport in Mexico.
- Representing a Houston-based drilling services company in the sale of all of the stock of its US holding company to a TSX-listed oilfield services company. The transaction meant the acquisition of 6 recently constructed on-shore drilling rigs and their ongoing operations in Mexico.
- Representing a major player in global manufacturing for the automotive industry in its proposed acquisition of a US$40 million Mexican foundry and obtained the relevant consent from the Mexican competition authorities.
- Representing a leading global multi-metals company in relation to its friendly takeover of a CAD 409 million TSX-listed company owning a poly-metallic mine in Mexico.
- Providing anti-corruption training for top management and operational personnel of a worldwide top automotive supplier in four Mexican cities.
- Representing an international port operator in two procurement procedures for the construction and management of port infrastructure in Mexico.
- Representing a European company in its successful bid to install a €52 million 3km-long cable-liner shuttle system at Mexico City's airport.
- Representing a US dredging and marine construction company in the formation of a consortium with a Mexican company to bid for a major dredging project related to the proposed expansion of a Mexican port.
- Representing the Mexican subsidiary of an international commodities trader in its execution, as borrower (together with its parent company), of an US$820m Credit Agreement.
- Representing a global commodities trading company in the financing of purchases of metal concentrates. Deal value US$500 million.
- Representing an international bank in a US$200 million loan to the Mexican subsidiary of an international commodities trader.
- Representing an international commodities trader in various syndicated loans and revolving credit facilities secured by real estate and inventories in Mexico. Aggregate value US$112 million.
- Representing an international commodities trader in the execution of a US$50 million master repurchase agreement.
- Representing the financing arm of an international industrial equipment manufacturer in the financing of the construction of two vessels in Mexico.
- A worldwide salvage company in the salvage efforts of an 835-foot and 52,267 DWT container-ship grounded on a public beach off a tourist port in Mexico. The successful re-floating was one of the most challenging and significant ‘no cure – no pay’ salvage endeavors ever undertaken in maritime history and attracted the interest of the shipping industry worldwide. The salvage award exceeded US$48m (at the time, the largest ever).
- Advising a NYSE-listed deep-water drilling company in connection with the execution of an offshore support services agreement with one of the first oil companies awarded with an exploration and production block offshore Mexico.
- Advising an international operator of offshore supply vessels for the oil and gas industry on the foreign investment and maritime regulatory framework in Mexico.
- Advising a heavy lift engineering company in connection with its execution of an Offshore Platform Lifting Services Agreement to be performed in Mexican waters.
- Representing an owner and operator of accommodation barges for the oil and gas industry in an open tendering procedure by Pemex for the lease of a large accommodation barge.
- Advising several international financial services entities and commodities traders on financial, regulatory and material liability aspects related to the trading of oil, LNG, metals, coal and other commodities in Mexico.
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
Mr. Morán served as the Vice-Chair of the Energy Law Committee of the Asociación Nacional de Abogados de Empresa (ANADE—National Association of Business Lawyers) from January 2011 to January 2017, and is a former National Representative of the International Association of Lawyers (AIJA) in Mexico. He is a member of the Advisory Board of the Institute for Energy Law and of several national and international associations, such as the Association of the International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN) and the US-Mexico Bar Association (USMBA).
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
Mr. Morán was ranked as an "Up and Coming" lawyer in Chambers & Partners' 2014 Latin America Energy & Natural Resources and 2015 New Faces in Latin America listings.
News & Events
Panelist, “Key Environmental and Maritime Issues in Offshore Oil & Gas Projects,” 4th IEL-ANADE Conference, The New Energy Legal Framework in Mexico: Lessons Learned and the Way Forward, August 25-26, 2016, Mexico City.
Panelist, Legal panel, ONEXPO 2016 (annual convention of the confederation of gas station owners), June 2016, Mexico City.
Speaker, "The new oil and gas legal framework in Mexico,” II ANADE Regional Seminar – Ensenada 2015, September 2015, Ensenada, Mexico.
Panelist, "Effectively Navigating the Legal Framework & Opportunities for Improvement," Mexico Oil & Gas Summit 2015 – organized by Mexico Business Events, Mexico City, July 2015.
Speaker, "Exploring the environmental liabilities in contracts in Mexico and potential scenarios," LatAm Contract Risk Management Summit for Oil and Gas - organized by Hanson Wade, Houston, December 2014.
Moderator, "Analysis and discussion of the new hydrocarbons regime and its contractual models," Investment Opportunities for Oil Companies - Its regulatory framework, as well as its tax and international trade implications – seminar organized by ANADE, Mexico City, October 2014.
Debater, "Shale Gas vs. Liquefied Natural Gas – who wins and why?" Energy Debate Series – organized by the Australia, New Zealand and Mexico Business Council (ANZMEX), Mexico City, June 2014.
Speaker, "Mexican Oil and Gas Reform," Houston-Mexico Energy Interest Group, Houston, May 2014.
Panelist, "Nuts and bolts of Mexico’s Apertura," 3rd IEL-ANADE conference, La Reforma – Mexico Enters the Global Oil and Gas Market, Houston, May 2017.
Panelist, "Bid-Rigging, Corruption and Antitrust – Are you sure your company is not involved?" AIJA Annual Congress, Buenos Aires, September 2013.
Panelist, "Investing in Strategic Areas: Mining, Oil and Gas – Mining after years without regulation: new understanding of cleaner technologies, environmental protection – Overview of changes and barriers, which are of legislative, technologic, and economic nature," AIJA Pre-Congress Seminar, Buenos Aires, September 2013.
Closing Remarks of Conference and Moderator, "Protecting assets in deep seas; understanding the offshore legal requirements and insurance options," Offshore platforms, rigs, ships & boats –‘things that float’– challenges to extract oil & gas from deep seas in the Gulf of Mexico – conference organized by The British Chamber of Commerce (Britcham), in collaboration with ANZMEX, the World Energy Council, the European Chambers and ANADE, Mexico City, May 2013.
Panelist, "Recent Legislative Developments in Mexico in the Project Finance Arena in Mexico," 3rd Annual Project Finance Conference – organized by Latin Lawyer magazine, Mexico City, October 2012.
Conference Co-Chair, 2nd IEL-ANADE conference – The Future of Renewable Energy in Mexico, Mexico City, May 2012.
Speaker, "Overview of the legal aspects of entering and operating in Mexico," Doing business in Latin America – Brazil and Mexico – seminar organized by chartered accountants Campbell Dallas LLP with the support of Scottish Development International and UK Trade and Investment, Aberdeen, UK, March 2011.
Panelist, "Multimodal transportation and legal pitfalls case study," Full Speed Ahead: Recent challenges and solutions for the shipping industry – conference presented by the IBA Maritime and Transport Law Committee and AIJA Transport Law Commission, Istanbul, Turkey, November 2010.
Moderator, "Important Aspects on National Content," Contractual schemes in the oil industry: International Experience and its implementation in Mexico – conference by ANADE, International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Mexico and the Mexican Chamber of the Construction Industry (CMCI), Mexico City, September 2010.
Moderator, "Pemex’s Corporate Governance: Strengthening its Operational Structure," 1st IEL-ANADE conference, International Conference on Exploration and Production of Oil and Gas in Mexico: The New Contractual Regime, Mexico City, April 2010.
Speaker, "Pemex Exploration and Production New Contracting Regime," Energy Trade Mission to Alberta – Chamber of the Americas, Ports to Plains Alliance and the Alberta Ministry of International and Intergovernmental Relations, Calgary, March 2010.
Speaker, "Legal Framework: Doing Business in Mexico," Energy trade Mission to Mexico – Scottish Development International, Mexico City, February 2010.
Speaker, "Legal framework for foreign companies in Mexico," Seminar on Operating and Manufacturing for the Oil Industry in Mexico – organized by Promexico, Pemex, the Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Mexican Association of Petroleum Services Companies (AMESPAC), Amsterdam, November 2009.
Speaker, "NAFTA Cross-Border Transportation Update," Annual Meeting of the Transportation Lawyers Association, San Diego, May 2009.
Speaker, "Salvage of the M/V APL PANAMA," Salvage Committee Meeting at Annual Spring Meeting of the Maritime Lawyers Association of the United States, New York City, May 2006.
Co-author, "Pemex's Contracting Regime After the Energy Reform," OGEL, 2016.
Co-author, Chapter: Argentina, The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Oil & Gas Regulation, Global Legal Group Ltd, London, 2016 and 2017.
Co-author, "Developments in the North American Energy Sector," The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Oil & Gas Regulation, Global Legal Group Ltd, London, 2015, 2016 and 2017
Co-author, "The new Pemex procurement rules: a 180° change of mindset / Las nuevas disposiciones de contratación de PEMEX: Un cambio de mentalidad de 180° Newsletter," US-Mexico Bar Association, August 2015
Co-author, "Responsabilidad por Daños Causados por Fugas de Hidrocarburos en las Zonas Marinas de México: La Urgencia de Crear un Fondo Catastrófico para Accidentes Petroleros Costa Afuera (Liability for Damages by Oil Leakages in Mexican Maritime Zones: The Need to Create a Catastrophic Fund for Offshore Oil Accidents)," Publication on the occasion of the 76th Anniversary of the Expropriation of the Oil Sector, coordinated by Pemex's General Counsel, December 2014.
Author, "Updated timeline for the Mexican Energy Reform," The Energy Law Advisor, Vol. 8, No. 4, Institute for Energy Law, September 2014.
Co-author, "Mexican Oil and Gas Reform: Getting It Right This Time," ABA Energy Litigation E-Newsletter, Spring 2014, Vol. 13, No. 3, May 2014.
Author, "Believe it or not: Mexico finally opens up its oil industry," The Energy Law Advisor, Vol. 8, No. 1, Institute for Energy Law, February 2014.
Author, "The proposal to amend PEMEX’s tax regime – Is it a good indication of how IOCs will be taxed when Mexico opens up to private investment in the oil sector?" The Energy Law Advisor, Vol. 7, No. 4, Institute for Energy Law, December 2013.
Interview, "Por qué hay que unirse a la AIJA (Why to join AIJA)," El Mundo del Abogado (Lawyer’s World magazine), Vol. 15, No. 172, August 2013.
Author, "The legal treatment of vessels and offshore installations under the Mexican foreign investment and navigation frameworks," Newsletter of the Maritime and Transport Law Committee of the Legal Practice Division of the International Bar Association 9, No. 1, International Bar Association, London, UK, May 2013.
Interview, "Las ventajas de ser miembro de la AIJA (The advantages of being a member of AIJA)," El Mundo del Abogado (Lawyer’s World magazine), Vol. 15, No. 166, February 2013.
Co-author, "The future of renewable energy in Mexico," Global Energy Review, October 2012.
Commentary, "Is Mexico Prepared for Deepwater Drilling in the Gulf?" Inter-American Dialogue’s weekly Energy Advisor newsletter, March 2012.
Co-author, "The new Mexican Law on Public-Private Partnerships," Latin American Regional Forum Newsletter of the International Bar Association Legal Practice Division, 5, No. 1, March 2012.
Co-author, "Investment and Financing Opportunities in the Mexican Mining Sector," Latin American Regional Forum Newsletter of the International Bar Association Legal Practice Division, October 2011.
Author, "La nueva ley anticorrupción del Reino Unido (The New UK Bribery Act)," Petróleo & Energía (Oil & Energy magazine), Vol. 8, No. 153, June 2011.
Co-author, "The New Pemex E&P Risk Service Contracts," The Energy Law Advisor, Institute for Energy Law, Vol. 5, No. 1, January 2011.
Co-author, "Predicar con el ejemplo: El TLCAN y la inversion en el autotransporte de pasajeros (Preaching by example: North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and investment in the bus services sector)," Abogado Corporativo (Corporate Lawyer magazine), November-December 2010.
Co-author, Chapter: Mexico, Getting the Deal Through – Shipping, International Bar Association, 2009.
University of Nottingham, LL.M., International Commercial Law
University of Houston, LL.M., United States Law
Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), law degree
Faculty of Law at Stockholm University, one-year exchange program