- Defended a major insurance company in a class action lawsuit alleging improper first party catastrophe claims handling. Successfully defeated the plaintiffs' motion for class certification after an evidentiary bench trial.
- Represented a commercial loan servicer in foreclosure proceedings for large commercial properties throughout southern Louisiana.
- Represented a lender to enforce security interests and post-default remedies in Louisiana-based equipment.
- Lead counsel for plaintiffs who successfully challenged Louisiana's constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.
- On behalf of a commercial loan servicer, prosecuted a federal court action against an insurance agent for negligence, resulting in a successful client recovery.
- Represented a creditor in collection proceedings involving multiple lawsuits before Louisiana state courts in Greater New Orleans to recover six-figure judgment.
- Represented a public entity in a dispute over a multi-million dollar award for the redevelopment of an office building into a luxury hotel and the subsequent lease of the property.
- Represented client in obtaining a summary judgment for over $2.5 million (plus interest, attorney's fees and costs) against a debtor and guarantors in federal court.
- Represented an international media company in federal trademark and copyright litigation.
- Obtained dismissal of elected official in election campaign litigation.
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
- Adjunct Professor of Law at Loyola University New Orleans School of Law.
- American Bar Association Section of Litigation former Co-Chair of the Civil Rights Litigation Committee and former Co-Chair of the planning committee for the inaugural LGBTForum of the Section of Litigation. Dalton has served within the Leadership of the Section of Litigation of the American Bar Association for the past nine years.
- Louisiana State Bar Association member.
- New Orleans Bar Association member and secretary of the New Orleans Bar Association Inn of Court.
- New Orleans Pro Bono Project volunteer.
- AIDSLaw of Louisiana, Inc. past Co-Chair of the Board of Directors.
- Old Algiers Main Street Corporation former treasurer.
- Harvard Club of Louisiana past social chair.
- Prior to attending law school, Dalton was selected as a Corps Member of Teach for America and taught in the Houston public schools for two years.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- New Orleans Magazine "Top Lawyer" 2015 – 2020.
- Louisiana State Bar Association Trailblazer Award recipient 2015 and Human Rights Award recipient 2013 for his efforts in promoting diversity in the legal profession.
- National LGBT Bar Association recognizes as one of the best LGBT Lawyers Under 40 in 2012.
- New Orleans CityBusiness Leadership in Law honoree 2012 and 2015.
News & Events
Speaker, "LGBT Law: 2018 Year In Review," LSBA Natchitoches Lights CLE, December 2018.
Speaker, "LGBT Law: 2017 Year In Review," Current Developments in Labor & Employment Law Seminar, March 2018.
Speaker, "Title VII and LGBT Nondiscrimination," Current Developments in Labor & Employment Law Seminar, March 2017.
Speaker, "Thou Poisonous Bunch-Back’d Toad: Ethics of Insults Through the Centuries," American Bar Association Annual Meeting, August 2016.
Moderator, LSBA Diversity and Inclusion Conclave, March 2016.
Speaker, "Diversity/Cultural Competency," New Orleans Regional Leadership Institute, January 2016.
Speaker, "Ethics on and in Trial: Ethical Issues in The Verdict," New Orleans Bar Association, December 2015.
Speaker, "Media 101: What to Do when a Reporter Calls," New Orleans Bar Association, December 2014.
Speaker, "What Diversity Means to Clients – Benchmarks to Track Diversity Initiatives and Successful Workplace Practices," American Bar Association, Section of Litigation Annual Conference, April 2014.
Speaker, "Gay Rights in the Louisiana Workplace," Louisiana State University Current Developments in Labor and Employment Law seminar, March 2014.
Speaker, "Schools, Bullying and the Law," New Orleans Bar Association Procrastinators' Program, December 2012.
- Louisiana Federal and State Courts
- United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2003
- Editorial board member, Virginia Journal of Social Policy and the Law
Harvard University, magna cum laude, 1998