Mr. Cogan's work includes developing project structures, as well as drafting and negotiating joint venture, acquisition, joint operating, management, processing, service, transportation (pipeline and marine), development and investment agreements, production sharing, drilling, construction, O&M and other energy industry contracts, project finance documentation, and technology licenses. He also has been involved with governmental regulation, construction and financing of facilities related to energy projects.
- Representing U.S. parties in their dealings with the Algerian government oil entity in connection with LNG sale and purchase agreements, transportation agreements and dispute resolution.
- Representing the consortium developing an LNG project in Angola.
- Representing investors in the development of an LNG receiving terminal in the Bahamas.
- Representing a Korean-American consortium in its production sharing contract/LNG project negotiations with the government oil company of Burma.
- Representing an independent oil and gas company in the development of an LNG receiving terminal in Nova Scotia.
- Representing a European/Chilean consortium in the development of an LNG regasification facility in Northern Chile.
- Representing a major U.S. oil company in working with Chinese authorities to develop an LNG regasification facility.
- Representing production sharing contractors in the Bontang LNG Liquefaction Project and, when interests were properly aligned, the government oil entity.
- Representing investors in the development of an LNG receiving terminal in Mexico.
- Representing a multi-national company in planning and developing contracts for a proposed upstream oil & gas project and a related LNG project in Namibia.
- Representing U.S. parties in negotiations with Nigeria LNG Limited (a joint venture of the Nigerian government, Shell and others) for the purchase of LNG.
- Representing North American and European interests in negotiations for the purchase of LNG from the Brass LNG Project (a joint venture of the Nigerian government, ENI and others).
- Representing Qatari LNG producers in LNG shipping matters.
- Representing Qatar Petroleum in negotiating a letter of intent with a major western oil company for an LNG project.
- Representing a major Russian gas company in LNG purchase and sale agreements.
Trinidad & Tobago:
- Representing a major shareholder in the Trinidad LNG Project in negotiations with the government and other shareholders in the original project and subsequent expansions.
- Representing various investor groups in the planning and development of LNG receiving terminals for the North American market.
- Representing a U.S. company in developing a fleet of LNG tankers.
- Representing production-sharing interests in the Marib LNG Project in the negotiation of the gas development agreement, feedstock supply agreement, operating agreement and shareholders agreement.
Upstream Oil & Gas
- Representing U.S. parties in the farm-in of rights for a production sharing area in Belize.
- Representing an Australian company in the divestiture of its interest in Bolivian oil fields.
- Representing investors in the acquisition of a working interest in an offshore Brazil deepwater block.
- Representing Canadian interests in the transfer of a 50% interest in a major oil sands field in Alberta to a European integrated oil company.
- Representing a major Canadian exploration and production company in its acquisition of oil and gas properties internationally.
- Representing U.S. interests in the farm-in of rights for oil and gas blocks in the Putumayo region of Colombia.
- Representing a U.S. company in the disposition of oil and gas properties in Côte d'Ivoire.
- Representing a major Danish industrial group in connection with its offshore oil drilling activities.
- Representing a Canadian company in planning a farm-in arrangement with a U.S. company for the acquisition of Ethiopian oil and gas rights.
- Representing a U.S. oil company in the financing of offshore oil field development activities in Ghana.
- Representing German interests in the acquisition of oil & gas fields in Hungary.
- Representing U.S. interests in connection with Hungarian gas fields.
- Representing a U.S. independent oil and gas company in the drafting of agreements to participate in the acquisition of Bombay-area offshore oil and gas properties.
- Representing U.S. interests in the documentation relating to the acquisition of oil and gas properties in Assam State.
- Representing U.S. interests in connection with the research and contract analysis for an offshore production sharing contract in Malaysia.
- Representing U.S. interests in the divestiture of oil and gas properties in Mongolia, including dealings with the oil ministry and assignees.
- Representing U.S. interests in an oil and gas convention with the Moroccan government.
- Representing a multi-national oil company in the acquisition of offshore oil and gas properties in Nigeria.
- Representation of European interests in legal review of oil and gas properties in Tunisia.
Trinidad & Tobago:
- Representing a multi-national natural resources company in connection with its offshore oil & gas operations in Trinidad & Tobago.
- Representing a U.S. drilling contractor in connection with offshore oil drilling contracts.
- Representing European Interests in the disposition of extensive oil & gas properties onshore U.S.
- Representing European interests in the acquisition of a major position in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico oil fields.
- Representing Japanese interests in reviewing and advising on oil field reactivation programs with PDVSA (the Venezuelan oil entity) and its affiliates.
- Representing an independent oil producer in the proposed acquisition of an exploration block in Yemen.
- Representing an Australian company in the divestiture of its interest in the Bolivia/Brazil natural gas pipeline.
- Representing a major U.S. oil company in the documentation and structuring of a crude oil pipeline project, including work on the convention of establishment and investment agreement with the host countries Chad and Cameroon.
- Representing U.S. interests in the acquisition of an interest in a major gas pipeline in Colombia.
- Representing a U.S. pipeline company in planning the development of a petroleum products pipeline running from Dar es Salaam to the Ugandan border.
Downstream & Petrochemical
- Representing a U.S. chemical company in its Brazilian petrochemical plant operations and relationships with joint venturers.
- Representing U.S. interests in the development of a petrochemical plant in Shanghai.
- Representing U.S. interests in legal matters relating to two Colombian petrochemical plants operated in joint ventures with local investors.
- Representing U.S. interests in the development of a petrochemical plant in Indonesia.
- Representing Japanese interests in development of a proposed petroleum refinery in partnership with Pemex.
- Representing a major U.S. oil company in the divestiture of a petrochemical plant to local management in Pakistan.
- Representing Canadian interests in the acquisition of two major petroleum refineries in the U.S.
Power & Renewables
- Representing a U.S. electric utility in the privatization of Buenos Aires-area electric power distribution companies.
- Representing a U.S. electric utility in connection with its investment in a São Paulo-area electric power distribution company.
- Representing U.S. interests in connection with the proposed acquisition of a hydroelectric power plant in Southwestern China.
- Representing U.S. interests in the proposed acquisition of an interest in a fossil fuel power project in Southern China.
- Representing a U.S. and British interests in the privatization of the power industry in the Dominican Republic.
- Representing U.S., Mexican and Canadian interests in negotiations with CFE (the Federal Electricity Commission) and structuring regarding a power and desalination project in Rosarito, BCN (together with a natural gas pipeline to provide a fuel supply).
- Representing a major oil company in connection with the development of the Tangguh gas field.
- Representing a major U.S. oil company in connection with a planned gas-to-liquids plant in Qatar.
- Representing foreign oil companies in the Saudi natural gas initiative which included work on upstream, midstream and downstream operations, including power and desalination plants.
- Representing a U.S. independent oil & gas company in documentation of rights for exploration and development of natural gas prospects in Slovakia.
- Representing a U.S. independent oil & gas company in documentation of rights for exploration and development of natural gas prospects in Slovenia.
- Representing a U.S. natural gas company in its successful bid and contract negotiations with PDVSA and with the EPC contractor for a major gas pressurization project.
- Representing a U.S. producer in negotiations with Canadian sulphur producers for a jointly operated sulphur terminal in Belgium.
- Representing a U.S. manufacturer in the documentation and structuring of oil field equipment manufacturing, sales and service operations in Brazil.
- Representing U.S. interests in the development of a joint venture manufacturing facility in the Beijing region.
- Representing a foreign investor in the drafting of documentation for an oil field equipment manufacturing joint venture with a Chinese governmental entity.
- Representing a major Mexican brewery in the international distribution and sale of its products.
- Representing a Mexican mining company in its foreign investments and international operations.
- Representing foreign investors in the establishment of an oil field equipment manufacturing plant in Vera Cruz.
- Representing Norwegian interests in the proposed privatization of the Vera Cruz shipyards for oil drilling rig construction and repair.
- Representing a major Norwegian industrial enterprise in its international oil and gas and oil field services activities.
- Representing U.S. interests in negotiations for an oil field equipment manufacturing joint venture with a Russian governmental entity.
- Representing several oil field service companies in their domestic and international operations and financings.
- Representing a U.S. chemical company in its petrochemical plant operations and relationships with joint venturers in Venezuela.
- Representing U.S. interests in the documentation and structuring of oil field equipment repair operations in Venezuela.
- Representing a Texas bank in connection with the financing of a pipeline compressor station in Canada
- Representing a consortium of Mexican, Spanish and U.S. interests in negotiations with Pemex (the government oil entity) and lenders for developing and financing a gasoline additives plant in Coatzacoalcos, Mexico.
- Representing an Argentine/Mexican consortium in negotiations with CFE and lenders for the financing of the Petacalco Coal Handling Project.
- Representing lenders in the Rand/Dollar construction financing of an offshore drilling rig built in a South African shipyard.
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
Mr. Cogan has served as an adjunct professor of law at the University of Houston and a guest lecturer at the University of Texas at Austin and Southern Methodist University.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
Mr. Cogan has been named as one of the world's leading energy and natural resource lawyers in Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers and in the International Financial Law Review 1000, and as one of the top five international lawyers in Texas by Texas Lawyer. He also has been recognized by Super Lawyers, The Best Lawyers in America and Law Dragon as a leading energy and corporate attorney.
News & Events
Speaker, AIPN Upstream Contracts Seminar, Mexico City, April 7, 2011.
Speaker, "Practical, Ethical and Cultural Challenges," Colorado Association of Corporate Counsel: Managing Non-US Attorneys in International Transactions, Denver, Colorado, March 16, 2011.
Speaker, International Upstream Energy Transactions Conference, Houston, Texas, January 25-26, 2011.
Speaker, "Globalization for In-House and Outside Counsel," Institute for International and Comparative Law 2010 Symposium, Plano, Texas, June 15-16, 2010.
Speaker, "Structuring Outbound Investments: The New Reality under the Obama Administration," Houston Bar Association International Law Section Luncheon Meeting, September 24, 2009.
Speaker, Gas Processors Association, Houston Chapter, March 20, 2007.
Speaker, "International Mergers and Acquisitions: The Method," Center for American and International Law, June 27, 2006.
Speaker, "Foreign Direct Investment: It Ain't Like Doin' it in Des Moines," IHCP Program, Houston, Texas, May 2006.
Speaker, "Foreign Direct Investment," The Houston Club, Lunch Meeting, May 18, 2006.
Speaker, "To Arbitrate or Not to Arbitrate…That is the Question," 28th Annual Corporate Counsel Institute, Houston April 6, 2006 & Dallas May, 11, 2006.
Speaker, "Managing Risks in LNG Shipping Contracts," Advanced Contract Risk Management for the LNG Supply Chain, Houston, Texas, January 30, 2006.
Speaker, "Going Forward: Risk and Reward in Future Global LNG Trades," 1st Annual TJOGEL Symposium: Legal Difficulties with LNG, January 27, 2006.
Speaker, "Liquefied Natural Gas: U.S. Market Developments," Chemical Week's 2nd Annual Conference: Monetizing Natural Gas, Houston, Texas, December 5, 2005.
Speaker, "Atlantic LNG Presentation," Navigating the Evolving Currents of the LNG Contract Chain, February 11-12, 2005.
Speaker, "LNG Shipping," Institute for Energy Law [CAIL], Houston, Texas, September 14, 2004.
Speaker, "Foreign Investment Agreements," University of Houston, January 28, 2002.
Speaker, Institute of International Education 47th Annual Luncheon, Houston, Texas, May 11, 2000.
Speaker, "Infrastructure Development in Emerging Markets: The Host Country Dimension," South Texas College of Law, May 1998.
Speaker, The International Lawyer as Conductor of the Global Symphony, Dallas Bar, October 15, 1997.
Speaker, "Arbitrating Technology Disputes," International Law Symposium, February 22-23, 1996.
Speaker, "Inter-American Acquisitions: The Method, "Southern Methodist University School of Law, International Lawyering in the Americas, January 26-27, 1995.
Co-Author, "Has Mexico Finally Got it Right?" Financier Worldwide Global Reference Guide 2011: Energy & Utilities.
Author, Project Financing of Cross-Border Pipelines, Oxford University Press, August 2009.
Author, "Green is the Color of Federal Energy Spending in the 2010 Budget," Texas Lawyer/Energy Lawyer, May 2009.
Author, "Hedging Gas Supply Risks: Are LNG Terminals the Answer?" Bloomberg European Law Journal, November 2008.
Author, "LNG Sales and Shipping: The Evolution of Delivery Terms from the Empirical to the Existential," Texas Journal of Oil, Gas & Energy Law, Fall 2006.
Author, "Legal Challenges Surrounding Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)," Texas Journal of Oil, Gas & Energy Law, January 26, 2006.
Author, "Contracting Practices for the New 'Global' LNG Trade," Oil & Gas Journal, LNG Observer Article, May 2005.
Author, The Hackberry LNG Decision, LNG Regulation: A Recent History – Energy Markets, October 2004.
Co-Author, 1985 Texas Foreign Bank Agency Act.