- Handles estate administration including the orderly transmission of assets to heirs and legatees, post-mortem estate planning, oversight of the preparation of federal estate tax returns and related controversy work such as will contests, trust disputes and fiduciary litigation.
- Counsels closely-held business owners and high net worth individuals and family groups in their estate, tax and business succession planning.
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel Fellow and Business Planning and Practice Committees member.
- New Orleans Estate Planning Council Past President.
- Louisiana State Bar Association member and Tax Section former Chair.
- Greater New Orleans Foundation Cornerstone Council and Honor Roll of Advisors.
- Catholic Foundation Professional Advisors Council member.
- New Orleans Regional Leadership Institute 2014 graduate.
- CBNO/MAC Metropolitan Leadership Forum 2006 graduate.
- Tulane Estate Planning Institute Advisory Board member.
- Estate Planning and Administration Advisory Commission to the Louisiana Board of Legal Specialization member.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America 2010 – 2021.
- "Lawyer of the Year" New Orleans for Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law 2017 and 2020.
- Chambers and Partners High Net Worth Guide 2016 – 2020.
- Louisiana Super Lawyers 2010 – 2021.
- New Orleans Magazine "Top Lawyer" 2012 – 2020.
- New Orleans CityBusiness Leadership in Law 2013 honoree.
- National Association of Estate Planners & Councils ACCREDITED ESTATE PLANNER®.
News & Events
- Laura Walker Plunkett to Participate in "Interpreting Trust Distribution: A Conversation between a Drafter and an Implementer" Panel03.16.2020
In the News
"Pre and Post Sale Planning for You, Your Company, and Your Family," Seminar sponsored by Bank of America/Merrill Lynch - A Conference for Business Owners: M&A Solutions for Privately-Held Companies, October 2018.
"Business Succession and Tax Planning," Tulane Estate Planning Institute, November 2018.
"Minimizing Estate, Gift and Income Taxation upon the Transfer of a Business to the Next Generation," Tulane Family Business Forum seminar, Transferring Wealth to the Next Generation of the Family Business, September 2018.
"The Changes Affecting Estate Planning," Louisiana State Bar Association's Tax Section seminar, The 2018 Tax Reform Bill – What You Need to Know, May 2018.
"Minimizing Estate, Gift and Income Taxation upon the Transfer of a Business to the Next Generation," Louisiana State Bar Association's Tax & Estate Planning seminar, Tax and Estate Planning for Businesses: What You Need To Know To Minimize the Taxation of a Business, October 2017.
"Navigating the New Basis Consistency Rules," ACTEC Louisiana Fellows Fall Meeting, September 2016.
"I WILL SURVIVE: Tax Implications for Divorcing Same Sex Couples," Louisiana Society of CPAs, 2016 Forensic and Litigation Services Workshop, October 2016.
"Pre and Post Sale Planning for You, Your Company and Your Family," M&A Solutions for Privately Held Companies Seminar hosted by Bank of America Merrill Lynch, May 2016.
"Impact of the Obergefell Decision on Estate Planning," Loyola Estate Planning Institute, November 2015.
"Attorney-Client Privilege for Trustees, Succession Representatives, and Decedents: Who is the client? Drafting engagement letters. The rules of evidence/how to protect the attorney-client privilege," LSU Estate Planning Institute, October 2015.
"Effects of the Obergefell Decision on Louisiana Same-Sex Couples," New Orleans Estate Planning Council, September 2015.
"After the Rice Is Thrown: Effects of Obergefell v. Hodges in Louisiana" Louisiana State Bar Association's Seminar Co-Sponsored by the Trusts, Estate, Probate and Immovable Property Law Section, September 2015.
"Pre and Post Sale Planning for You, Your Company, and Your Family," A Conference for Business Owners: M&A Solutions for Privately Held Companies, May 2015.
"Unique Aspects of Louisiana Trusts and Estates Law, "Southern Regional ACTEC Meeting, Panel Speaker, April 2015.
"Estate Planning for LGBT and Unmarried Clients,” New Orleans Bar Association Wills, Trusts and Successions Committee CLE Program, May 2014.
"Various Charitable Techniques," Loyola University Annual Estate Planning Conference, December 2013.
"Estate Planning for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Unmarried Clients," Tulane University Law School Estate Planning Institute Seminar, November 2013.
"Gift Tax," National Business Institute's Tax Planning for Trusts and Estates seminar, August 2013.
"Drafting Specific Dispositive and Administrative Provisions," National Business Institute's Advance Trust Drafting Strategies seminar, May 2013.
"Estate Planning and Successions for the General Practitioner," Loyola Back to School CLE Program, October 2012.
"Mastering Cocktail Conversation," New Orleans Bar Association Big Easy Bootcamp, Panel Speaker, October 2012, 2011, 2010 and 2008.
"Succession Title Issues," ABA Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law's Fall 2012 New Orleans Community Outreach Program - Getting On Solid Ground with the Basics, The How To’s of Real Estate Law, Panel Speaker, September 2012.
"Avoiding Family Conflicts and the Family-Friendly Transfer of Wealth," The Financial Planning Association of Baton Rouge, February 2012.
"Charitable Giving during a Time of Tax Law Uncertainty," Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra Donors Presentation, January 2012.
"Practical Planning for Portability (Can You?)" 19th Annual Tulane Estate Planning Institute, Panel Speaker, November 2011.
"Passing The Buck - Gift and Estate Tax Planning for Dispositions of Business Interests," Louisiana State Bar Association Planning for the "Small" Business - A Guide for the Non-Tax Lawyer, August 2011.
"Portability of Marital Deductions," New Orleans Estate Planning Council, Moderator, May 2011.
"Drafting for the Estate Tax after Estate Tax Temporary Repeal," 17th Annual Tulane Estate Planning Institute, Panel Speaker, November 2010.
"Late Breaking Issues in Trust and Estates," Louisiana State Bar Association's Higher Ground: La. Judicial College & LSBA Summer School, June 2010.
"Pay Now or Pay Later: Is a Roth IRA Conversion Right for Your Estate Plan?" Merrill Lynch Breakfast Series, April 2010.
"New Small Succession Law and Other Succession Law Changes," New Orleans Bar Association 2009 Procrastinators' Program, Panel Speaker, December 2009.
"New Small Succession Law and Succession Issues for Banks," Bank Counsel Conference, Louisiana Banker's Association, Panel Speaker, November 2009.
"Estate Planning for the Commercial Real Estate Client: A Conversation Between Estate and Real Property Lawyers," Panel Speaker, ABA eCLE Program, November 2008.
"Choosing the Right Charitable Vehicle," 37th Annual LSU Law Center Estate Planning seminar, October 2007.
"Issues in Bringing and Defending Claims Against the Succession Representative or the Trustee," 16th Annual Tulane Estate Planning Institute, Panel Speaker, October 2007.
"Basic Estate Planning for General Practitioners," New Orleans Bar Association 2003 Procrastinators' Program, December 2003.
"Practical Tips for Using S Corporations in Estate Planning," LSBA Tax Section New Orleans Technical Meeting, March 2003.
- Co-Author, "Determining Reasonable Compensation for Small Nonprofits," Taxation of Exempts, July/August 2019.
- Author, "Revocable Trusts: Louisiana," Practical Law, State Q&A, rev. September 4, 2018; originally published September 12, 2017.
- Author, "Wills: Louisiana," Practical Law, State Q&A, rev. September 4, 2018; originally published October, 2017.
- Chapter Author, "Successions," Louisiana Civil Practice Forms (West Group) 4th Edition (2009 -present).
- Co-Author, "When Disaster Strikes: Disaster Planning for Lawyers," Probate & Property Magazine, Sept/Oct 2006.
- Chapter Author, "Notarial," Louisiana Civil Practice Forms (West Group) 3rd and 4th Editions (2003-2009).
- Author, "Gifts of Appreciated Property and the Assignment of Income Doctrine," Journal of Taxation of Exempt Organizations, March/April 2000.
- United States Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
Emory University School of Law, with distinction, J.D., 1997
- Moot Court Society
New York University School of Law, LL.M. in Taxation, 1999
Emory University, B.A. in Political Science and Philosophy, 1993