- Successfully represented a national computer network services company in a suit for breach of a $200+ million public contract governed by the Federal Acquisition Regulations filed by the State of Louisiana with the ultimate result of a dismissal of the state's $17 million counterclaim, an agreement on a termination for convenience finding and a $25+ million arbitration award in favor of the client.
- In state court, successfully represented the managing partners and 50% owners of a $100+ million retail, commercial and residential development in a suit brought by the other partner for dissolution of the partnership and for damages alleged to have resulted from mismanagement.
- Represents a large regional multi-dealership automotive group on all general and corporate matters including, but not limited to, contractual disputes, human relations problems, regulatory issues, casualty and warranty claims, insurance coverages, real estate transactions and antitrust claim.
- In federal court, represented multiple clients in multiple class action suits involving unsolicited facsimiles and emails under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991.
- In federal trial and appellate courts, successfully defended a multiple-line automobile dealership in an antitrust and unfair competition suit involving regional sales of automotive parts.
- Successfully defended a client from a subcontractor claim arising out of a public contract from the City-Parish of East Baton Rouge for disaster relief and cleanup.
- Successfully defended the manufacturer of steam boilers for sugar mills in multiple cases with total exposure exceeding $10 million.
- Successfully argued to the Louisiana Supreme Court as amicus attorney in an issue involving state regulatory interpretation and collection of accounts due for medications provided under the Louisiana Workers' Compensation Act.
- Successfully represented a client on the issue of whether the client (insured) or the insurer was entitled to the salvage when the "covered loss" was millions of dollars in excess of the policy limits plus the salvage value.
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
- Louisiana State Bar Association member and Past President.
- Baton Rouge Bar Association member and Past President.
- Louisiana Association Defense Counsel member.
- American Board of Trial Advocates member.
- National Conference of Bar Presidents member.
- American Inns of Court member.
- Served as President of the Shaw Center for the Arts, the Boys and Girls Clubs of Baton Rouge, the City Club of Baton Rouge, and the Edgewater Kiwanis Club of Baton Rouge.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America 2013 – 2021.
- Louisiana Super Lawyers 2015 – 2018.
- LSU Law Center Public Interest Law Society's 2016 Alumnae Public Service Award recipient.
News & Events
"Conflict Consulting and Coaching," Louisiana State Bar Association Quebec Seminar, March 2019.
"Navigating the Swamp: A Review of Issues Encountered in Client Network Services, Inc. v. State, a Civil Contract Termination Case, Due to a Concurrent Criminal Prosecution and Indictment," Louisiana State Bar Association Disney Seminar, March 2019.
"Depose the Lawyers? How About the Commissioner? Why Not the Governor? Unique Discovery Issues from Client Network Services, Inc. v. State, et al," Baton Rouge Bar Association CLE by the Hour, December 2018.
"The Art of Negotiation," Louisiana State Bar Association Las Vegas seminar, September 2016.
"ADR: Stuff You Need to Know to Make You a Better Advocate in Negotiation, Mediation and Arbitration," Louisiana State Bar Association Sonoma Wine Country seminar, February 2016.
"The Rules of Law and Our Role as Guardian: Judicial Independence" Louisiana State Bar Association Uncorked CLE Adventure in California Wine Country, March 2014.
- "Bill's Firm: A Story and, Perhaps, a Template," paper for course on "Selected Issues in Dispute Resolution: Conflict Consulting and Coaching" January 2019.
- "Vioxx Litigation: Cave In, Windfall or Another Day at the Boudin Factory," final paper for a course on "Selected Issue in Dispute Resolution: Mass Tort Settlements" in pursuit of a Master of Law degree at the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine Law School in Malibu, California, November 2016.
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Fifth and Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Louisiana Federal and State Courts
Straus Institute of Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine Law School, Certificate 2016
Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University, J.D., 1974
Louisiana State University, B.A. in History and Political Science, 1971