This Manual Is Not For Beginners
Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business singled out Stone Pigman as the home to "some of the finest litigators" who are called upon to handle the most difficult cases. Clients rely on our reputation and experience to represent them in multi-district litigation, class actions and mass joinder cases in state and federal courts at trial and appellate levels. We are experienced in advising and representing national and regional clients across a wide range of industries consisting of insurance, manufacturing, chemical, refining, pharmaceuticals, medical services, hospitality, beverages, fast food, mortgage lending, telecommunications, tobacco and waste disposal.
In addition, Stone Pigman is capable of mobilizing experienced trial teams on short notice. Last year, on the eve of a trial, counsel for a Fortune 500 company called Stone Pigman to represent the company in a collection of class action and mass joinder cases aggregating over 12,000 exposure and injury claims arising from the alleged release of sulphur dioxide from one of its refining facilities. The concentrated effort of our trial team and litigation support personnel resulted in a favorable judgment for the company in an early bellwether jury trial that contributed substantially to the overall resolution of the class action claims.
A representative sampling of some of our other recent cases includes:
- Successfully represented a Fortune 100 telecommunications company in an action brought by a purchaser of an allegedly defective internet protocol, packet-based telecommunications switching system.
- Successfully represented a Fortune 50 insurance company against attempts to assert class action claims arising from the adjustment of claims after a major storm.
- Successfully represented hotel and other property developers in New Orleans in zoning litigation.
- Successfully defended Papa John'sÂ® slogan in a false advertisement suit alleging that Papa John's advertising slogan violated the false advertising laws.
- Successfully removed to federal court Louisiana-filed toxic tort and consumer product class actions by establishing supplemental federal jurisdiction over all class claims several years prior to the adoption by Congress in 2005 of the Class Action Fairness Act. This was a position that no other firm had been able to establish in the federal Fifth Circuit until Stone Pigman undertook to do so.
- Successfully represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer in the PPA product liability multi-district litigation proceeding in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington.
- Successfully obtained a favorable settlement for a major university in a patent licensing dispute involving four Swiss pharmaceutical companies.
- Represent a major university in a class action involving medical and related services.
- Represent two major tobacco companies in the largest class action ever certified in Louisiana state courts.
- Represent a pharmaceutical manufacturer of pain management medication in over 75 product liability cases pending in Louisiana.
Lawyers in the firm also have served on or participated in the deliberations of the Committee on Complex Litigation, which was formed by the Supreme Court of Louisiana and, among other things, created a bench book for discretionary use by state district judges in class actions and complex litigation. In 2000, one of our lawyers received the G. Duffield Smith Outstanding Publication Award from the Defense Research Institute for his article on class actions. More recently, a member of the firm was qualified as an expert witness and offered expert testimony for the benefit of the jury in the trial of a professional liability case arising out of the handling by certain litigants of a class action case.
To view ad, please click here.