Health care is among the most dynamic, complex and highly-regulated industries. As health care laws and regulations change and new medical practice models and technologies emerge, health care executives and service providers are challenged to respond and adapt. Stone Pigman works with our health care clients to handle a wide range of litigation and business matters.
Firm lawyers represent hospitals, hospital service districts, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, continuing care retirement communities, home health agencies, academic institutions, pharmaceutical companies, health care insurers, as well as large and small physician groups, diagnostic and treatment ancillary facilities, and sole practitioners.
The firm's litigation practice encompasses a full spectrum of litigation matters for health care providers. We frequently represent clients in malpractice defense, ambulance services liability defense, and pharmaceutical product liability defense. We are experienced in handling medical billing and reimbursement disputes and appeals, assisting clients with regulatory compliance, and defending False Claims Act suits. We also have experience with peer review and medical staff privilege disputes, defending against actions taken by the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners, and in defending workers' compensation claims.
Our business practice also encompasses representation and consultation on a broad spectrum of areas within the health care field. We have assisted clients in numerous purchases and sales of health care businesses, including hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, home health agencies, urgent care clinics, and medical practices. We have also assisted clients with leases and management and operating agreements for various health care entities and handled sales and leases of medical office buildings and other real estate relating to medical facilities. We also advise clients with respect to employment and professional service contracts between physicians and hospitals.
Some recent examples of the work of this Group include:
- Nursing Home Malpractice Defense. Stone Pigman represents numerous nursing homes in defense of malpractice and related tort actions.
- Ambulance Liability Defense. The firm regularly represents Acadian Ambulance in defending against personal injury and medical malpractice claims.
- Nursing Home Regulatory Disputes and Appeals. We represent numerous nursing homes in connection with billing and reimbursement disputes and appeals and with compliance and closure disputes and appeals.
- Antitrust Litigation. We represented a manufacturer of health care products used to treat sleep apnea (CPAPs) against a CPAP distributor's claims of antitrust violations. The federal court dismissed the plaintiff's federal claims on the merits, and dismissed the plaintiff's state-law claims for lack of subject-matter jurisdiction.
- Defense of Actions by Board of Medical Examiners. Stone Pigman recently assisted clients in defending against revocation of a physician's license and against a claim of unauthorized practice of medicine.
- Sale of Hospital. Stone Pigman represented Hospital Service District No. 1 of the Parish of Ouachita in the sale of Glenwood Regional Medical Center in West Monroe, Louisiana, for approximately $80 million and the establishment of the Living Well Foundation to receive substantially all of the net proceeds of the sale. The transaction required the approval of both the citizens of the hospital service district and the Louisiana Attorney General.
- Purchase of Assisted Living Facilities. Stone Pigman assisted a health care investment fund in connection with its acquisition and financing of two assisted living facilities in Louisiana near New Orleans.
- Sale of Majority Interest in Urgent Care Clinics. We represented physician owners of a chain of urgent care clinics in the sale of a majority interest in the clinics.