Stone Pigman has a broad base of insurance-related litigation experience with major domestic insurers and with the London Market underwriters and companies. Our practice includes experience handling complex litigation involving coverage disputes and bad faith claims, class actions involving both first-party and third-party claims and litigation of extra-contractual liability. We also have experience handling smaller claims and dealing with local insurers.
The firm has represented insurers in class action litigation and mass actions involving a wide array of claims including, but not limited to, (a) claims for alleged violation of Fair Credit Act reporting, (b) claims for alleged violations of state insurance laws and/or regulations, (c) claims alleging violations of state antitrust and/or unfair trade practice laws, (d) claims for allegedly improper underwriting practices, (e) claims by insureds alleging breaches of contract and improper claims handling; (f) claims by third parties alleging improper claims handling; and (g) defending insured in class actions filed by third parties. The class action litigation has included, among other issues, property and casualty damage from catastrophes, mold, fire, explosions and marine accidents. We also have served as counsel to defendant insurers in hurricane-related class actions and complex litigation throughout the Gulf Coast region arising out of floods and extreme weather events.
In addition, Stone Pigman has been appointed by insurers to represent their insureds against third-party claims. We have handled cases in a range of areas under comprehensive general liability policies, including property damage, personal injury and products liability; errors and omissions policies; directors and officers policies; protection and indemnity coverage; employer liability coverage; automobile policies; and property and casualty policies triggered by claims against the property owner.
Firm lawyers also have experience in insurance regulatory matters including: negotiations, litigation and administrative proceedings involving insurance regulatory issues in Louisiana and other jurisdictions; forms filing issues; statutory accounting issues; and market conduct inquiries and rate commission hearings involving legal issues.
Recent representative matters handled by the Insurance Practice Group have included:
- Dismissal of Numerous Hurricane Class Actions. Obtained the dismissal of multiple class actions brought against a leading national property and casualty insurer after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
- Defense of Class Action on Insurance Forms. Defended a major insurance company against multiple class action filings that sought a declaration that the company had adopted new insurance policy forms in violation of state insurance regulations and also sought a judgment directing the company to return premiums paid by insureds pursuant to the new policy forms.
- Defended an insurance company in a class action which alleged violations of state antitrust laws and breaches of contract pursuant to an alleged conspiracy to underpay insurance claims.
- Antritrust Action Against Insurance Industry. In antitrust mass action brought by Louisiana state attorney general against insurance industry as a whole, successfully represented major insurer and presented winning argument on behalf of all insurer defendants in court.
- Following Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Gustav, representation of insurers and insureds in variety of claims relating to hurricane damages.
- Defended a major insurance company against class action filings challenging the methodology employed to calculate damages on totaled automobile claims.
- Defended a major insurance company involving property damage and bad faith claims, relating to arson investigation of fire damage claim.
- Represented major insurance company in administrative proceedings establishing its compliance with state regulatory laws regarding permissible fees.
- Defended major insurance company against class action claims asserting impropriety of rates.
News & Events