John Colbert focuses his practice area on tax and tax controversy. As a Louisiana Certified Tax Law Specialist, he assists clients in the tax efficient structuring of business entities, as well as handling any tax controversies involving challenges to audits or tax statutes at administrative, state and federal levels.
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
- John has long been an active member of the Louisiana State Bar Association Section of Taxation, serving as Chair, 1997-98; Vice Chair, 1996-97; Secretary-Treasurer, 1995-96; State Program Chair, 1994-95; member, Tax Specialization Advisory Commission, 1998-01; member, Louisiana State and Local Taxation Joint Committee with Society of Louisiana Certified Public Accountants, 1998-present; Chair/Co-Chair, Louisiana Department of Revenue and Taxation Liaison Committee, 1987-97; member, Louisiana State and Local Taxation Policy and Procedure Committee, 1996-present; and representative, National Association of State Bar Tax Sections, 1995 and 1996.
- He is a member of the Committee on State and Local Taxation, Section of Taxation, American Bar Association, the Louisiana Association of Business and Industry, member, Taxation and Finance Council, and the Mid-Continental Oil and Gas Association, Excise/Income Tax Committee.
- He served on the Tulane CLE General Advisory Committee, 1986-90.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America 1999 – 2022.
- "Lawyer of the Year" New Orleans for Tax Law 2015.
- Louisiana Super Lawyers 2007 – 2020.
- New Orleans Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2012 – 2021.
- District of Columbia
New York University School of Law, LL.M. in Taxation, 1978
Tulane University Law School, J.D., 1977
Vanderbilt University, cum laude, 1972