Stone Pigman has extensive experience in successfully representing businesses and individuals in a wide variety of complex lawsuits and claims. We are often at the center of many of the most significant and complex litigation cases in the Gulf South region. We have been involved in several major class action and mass litigations in the region, representing "target" defendants in the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, Chinese Drywall, the Tobacco litigations and the Vioxx MDLs. Recently, we were retained by an insurer in two COVID-19 Coverage class action cases relating to coverage. We also represent clients in lawsuits ranging from garden-variety commercial disputes all the way to "Bet-the-Company Litigation."
With years of experience in complex litigation, we understand the need to assess the claims within the "big picture." We then design and execute litigation plans calculated to obtain the best possible success using appropriate staffing while containing costs in a manner commensurate with the client's objectives and the litigation exposures.
Our representative matters include:
- Defending former directors and officers of a nonprofit foundation against a class-action lawsuit filed by homeowners for alleged breach of contract, unfair trade practices, fraud, and intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress. The foundation helped rebuild the New Orleans' Lower Ninth Ward neighborhood devastated by Hurricane Katrina by constructing and selling affordable, energy-efficient homes. The lawsuit is pending in state court in New Orleans.
- Represented the owner of the New Orleans Saints and Pelicans sports franchises in a successful effort to withdraw large blocks of nonvoting interests in the sports franchises from previously-established grantor trusts in exchange for assets of equivalent value. The litigation involved complicated issues of tax law, corporate law, sports franchise law, and the valuation of business and financial assets. Stone Pigman deployed an experienced team of litigation and business lawyers to represent the client successfully.
- Successfully represented heirs of the founder of a prominent local grocery store that is now held in trust, seeking the removal of the trustees for breach of fiduciary duty. Stone Pigman obtained an order appointing the heirs as successor trustees, thus bringing the local grocery store back under family control.
- Represented a national automobile salvage company in litigation alleging third-party negligent spoliation of evidence. We successfully argued in front of the Louisiana Supreme Court that Louisiana should not recognize a cause of action for negligent spoliation of evidence.
- Defending a major oil and gas exploration company in several matters, including multiple lawsuits alleging coastal use permit violations and a legacy lawsuit alleging environmental contamination from the company's operations.
- Successfully defended investment-advisory firm against a lawsuit filed by several Louisiana public pension funds in Baton Rouge federal court demanding approximately $100 million for alleged breach of contract and unfair trade practices. Obtained the dismissal of the investment firm on summary judgment.
- Defended a prominent national insurance company against a lawsuit alleging claims of racial discrimination and retaliation, conspiracy to deny contract based on race, and negligent training and supervision. Successfully obtained the dismissal of all claims, including the affirmance of several rulings by the United States Fifth Circuit, before trial.
- Successfully defended independent agents of a major insurance and financial services company against a lawsuit alleging defamation and breach of lease. After motion practice and extensive negotiations, the matter settled favorably for our clients.
- Defending an insurance company against a class action for bad faith claims that allege underpayments of actual cash values for total loss automobiles. Plaintiffs allege that the estimating tool used by the company does not comply with Louisiana law. The firm was retained after the class action was certified by the trial court. The firm is assisting with the appeals and general defense.
- Representing the former General Counsel of First NBC Bank in New Orleans, in highly complex criminal and civil investigations conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and the United States Attorney. Stone Pigman is lead counsel for the former General Counsel, not only in the primary criminal investigation and prosecution, but also in regard to numerous related litigation matters and investigations.
- Successfully represented a national computer network services company in a suit for breach of a $200+ million public contract filed against the State of Louisiana. Case involved allegations of criminal wrongdoing against the client. Ultimately, due to our efforts, no criminal case was brought by the government.
- Successfully defended major oil refinery in Louisiana state court regarding the leasing of three large salt caverns used to store liquified petroleum gas to support operations of a refinery. The litigation involved geomechanical issues as well as Louisiana mineral and lease law.
- Defended one of the nation's top developers and managers of student housing in multiple lawsuits brought on Baton Rouge alleging breach of contract, breach of warranty, breach of representation, negligence, and personal injury involving a student housing facility in Louisiana. After extensive negotiations, the cases settled on terms favorable to our client.
- Served as counsel for Cameron International Corporation in the Deepwater Horizon Gulf Coast Oil Spill multi-district litigation in federal court in New Orleans.
- Obtained jury trial dismissal of securities fraud claims against a major Hollywood actor/director/producer arising out of oil spill remediation technology. The case was in a federal court in New Orleans.
- Obtained the dismissal of multiple class actions brought against a lead national property and casualty insurer after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
- Serving as liaison counsel for national homebuilders in the Chinese Drywall Multi District Litigation, and separately representing Home Depot.
- Represented Merck in the Vioxx multi-district litigation.