Stone Pigman lawyers handle high-stakes commercial and regulatory disputes before federal and state courts and administrative agencies throughout the nation, as well as in arbitrations, mediations and alternative dispute resolution proceedings. Our knowledge and experience with all sectors of the energy industry enables us to quickly and efficiently represent clients, defend their interests, prosecute their claims and represent them vigorously at all stages of litigation while focusing on their business objectives.
We frequently represent companies and individuals in a full range of energy-related disputes, including oil and gas regulatory litigation and administrative proceedings and landowner "legacy" lawsuits, as well as litigation concerning royalties, joint operating agreements, mineral rights, oil and gas marketing, environmental and toxic torts and products liability. Our clients include major and independent oil and gas exploration and development companies, natural gas companies, pipeline and storage companies, financial institutions serving the oil and gas industry and mineral rights owners.
Selected Representative Matters
- Representing a large independent E&P company in a lawsuit filed by the Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority - East concerning coastal land loss issues.
- Representing a large independent E&P company in litigation involving the State of Louisiana and certain coastal parishes regarding alleged permit violations.
- Represented a large independent E&P company in a lawsuit brought against several oil and gas companies by lessors alleging that two onshore gas wells were imprudently drilled and operated in Southwest Louisiana.
- Represented a mid-sized independent E&P company in a dispute regarding the terms of a joint operating agreement.
- Representing the manufacturer of the blow-out preventer on the Deepwater Horizon Well in the consolidated Deepwater Horizon Multi-District Litigation in federal court.
- Represented a major E&P company in an action for recovery of property damage and business interruption losses against responsible parties for causing a fire at a chemical plant in Louisiana.
- Defended an E&P company in an action brought in Louisiana state court in New Orleans by several landowners alleging underpayment of royalties.
- In two separate but related cases, Stone Pigman defended two large independent E&P companies in actions brought in state court in Vermilion Parish by a plaintiff alleging the underpayment of oil and gas royalties.
- Defended major oil and gas producing company in multimillion dollar gas royalty and tort case tried in Vermilion Parish, Louisiana.
- Defended a major natural gas company against a lawsuit that the plaintiff filed in federal court in New Orleans, seeking several million dollars relating to commissions allegedly owed on multiple leases in Calcasieu Parish.
- Represented a subsidiary of a major natural gas company in a Lake Charles federal court dispute over subsurface storage rights, ultimately securing a favorable settlement that would allow a proposed storage project to proceed.