Stone Pigman provides comprehensive environmental legal services for various oil and gas and energy sectors in numerous jurisdictions. We counsel clients on regulatory requirements relating to ongoing operations, as well as those associated with the construction of new facilities and modifications of existing facilities. We monitor and provide input to pertinent agency rulemaking and policy development and help clients to develop and apply environmental policies and management programs to proposed and existing facilities and operations.
Stone Pigman lawyers work closely with clients and their other professional advisors to devise innovative methods to streamline due diligence procedures, identify environmental risks and develop creative and cost-effective ways to manage and insure against those risks. We provide advice and counsel on myriad environmental issues including the applicability and ramifications of federal and state environmental statutes, such as Superfund, the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, the National Environmental Policy Act and the Endangered Species Act.
We regularly assist with applications for permits and other government approvals; federal and state environmental compliance and enforcement proceedings; internal audits and development of compliance programs; environmental due diligence; defense and regulatory responses to claims arising from environmental catastrophes; and environmental issues involved in the acquisition and divestiture of assets.
Selected Representative Matters
- Represented a refinery in connection with administrative enforcement actions involving alleged air and water permit violations brought by the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality.
- Negotiated remediation plans with landowners and state agencies on behalf of major and independent oil and gas companies.
- Assisted clients in obtaining the necessary environmental permits, including wetlands permits, water discharge permits and air permits, for the acquisition of property and the construction of facilities.
- Drafted environmental cost benefit analyses in permit applications for submittal to the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality and the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources.
- Successfully negotiated numerous settlements with agencies in environmental enforcement actions.
- Represented clients in complex CWA enforcement actions brought by the DOJ and the EPA.
- Represented clients at Superfund, Brownfield and other types of contaminated sites, such as landfills, recycling operations and industrial facilities.
- Handled cost recovery and contribution actions, as well as disputes regarding contract claims, successor liability issues and statutory and common law claims.
- Negotiated settlements and agreements between current and prior owners and purchasers of contaminated sites to avoid significant transaction costs.
- Represented clients sued under the citizen suit provisions of various state and federal environmental statutes.