Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
Mr. Abbott is a member of the New Orleans Estate Planning Council, the Association of Employee Benefit Planners of New Orleans and a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (current State Chair of Louisiana and former member of the Charitable Planning and Exempt Organizations Committee) and a member of the Trust Code Committee of the Louisiana Law Institute.
He is a past member of the Louisiana State Bar Association Tax Specialization Advisory Commission, serving as Chair, 1997-98, and the Board of the Tulane Estate Planning Institute. As an assistant professor at Louisiana State University, he taught Corporate Tax, Income Tax and Corporation Law. He is a member of the American Bar Association, the Louisiana State Bar Association, the Mississippi Bar and the New Orleans Bar Association, and has memberships in the Section of Taxation, Business Law Section and the Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section of the ABA and comparable sections of the Louisiana State Bar Association.
Among his civic leadership positions, Mr. Abbott has served on the Board of Directors, and as Chair, of Trinity Episcopal School in New Orleans, the Vestry of Trinity Episcopal Church, and serves as Chancellor for Trinity Episcopal Church. He has served on the Board of Directors of public non-profit corporations, including Lambeth House, Inc., (a Continuing Care Retirement Community), and Episcopal Housing for Seniors, Inc. and several private non-profit foundations. He also is on the Cornerstone Counsel of The Greater New Orleans Foundation. Mr. Abbott is a former member of the Board of Directors for the Louisiana Civil Service League and received the Monte M. Lemann Award.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
Mr. Abbott is listed in the Louisiana Private Wealth Law section of Chambers & Partners' High Net Worth guide. He has been named to The Best Lawyers in America and Louisiana Super Lawyers in the field of Trusts and Estates. He was named a Leader in Law by New Orleans CityBusiness in 2009. He has also been recognized as a Top Lawyer by New Orleans magazine.
- Thirty-Three Lawyers Named 2016 Louisiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars; Wayne Lee Featured on the Cover12.24.2015
- Thirty-One Lawyers Named 2015 Louisiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars; Phil Wittmann Ranked Number One for Second Year in a Row12.24.2014
- Twenty-Seven Lawyers Named 2014 Louisiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars; Phil Wittmann Ranked Number One12.30.2013
News & Events
- Hirschel Abbott to Serve Fifth Term as State Chair of Louisiana for the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel12.12.2012
- Hirschel Abbott Reappointed State Chair of Louisiana for the Fourth Time by the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel12.16.2011
- Hirschel Abbott Appointed State Chair of Louisiana for the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel05.06.2009
In the News
University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1971
- Order of the Coif
- Served on the Virginia Law Review
University of Mississippi, B.B.A. in Accounting