Hirschel Abbott concentrates his practice in estate planning, closely held businesses and entity selection, fiduciary litigation, charitable planning, and tax-exempt organizations. He currently serves as a co-chair of the firm’s Tax, Trusts and Estates Practice Group.
As a Board-Certified Tax Law Specialist and a Certified Public Accountant, Hirschel counsels businesses and other high net worth individuals and families on matters related to property, tax, and estate planning. He also advises clients on the structure, funding, and operational aspects of public and private non-profit corporations and charitable foundations, including organization, qualification with the Internal Revenue Service, and related tax-exempt organization compliance.
- Counsel to private clients, including businesses, business owners and boards. Other clients are high net worth individuals and families seeking advice on business, property, tax and estate planning matters. Further representation includes advice to trustees, executors and beneficiaries.
- Advises clients on the structure, funding and operational aspects of public and private non-profit corporations and charitable foundations, including organization, qualification with the Internal Revenue Service and related tax-exempt organization compliance.
- Clients include closely-held businesses for tax and business advice, including planning and structure of acquisitions, mergers, executive compensation, buy-sell agreements and general business matters.
- Non-profit, charitable and civic organization clients include public charities, religious organizations and private foundations.
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
- New Orleans Estate Planning Council member.
- Association of Employee Benefit Planners of New Orleans member.
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel Fellow, former State Chair of Louisiana, and former member of the Charitable Planning and Exempt Organizations Committee.
- Louisiana Law Institute Trust Code Committee member.
- Tulane Estate Planning Institute Board Member.
- Louisiana State Bar Association member and former Chair of the Tax Specialization Commission.
- Mississippi Bar Association member.
- Trinity Episcopal School New Orleans former Chair of the Board of Directors and former Chancellor (Attorney).
- Vestry of Trinity Episcopal Church.
- Louisiana Civil Service League Board of Directors former member and recipient of the Monte M. Lemann Award.
- Hirschel has served on the Board of Directors of public non-profit corporations, including Lambeth House, Inc. (a Continuing Care Retirement Community), Episcopal Housing for Seniors, Inc., and several private non-profit foundations.
- As an assistant professor at Louisiana State University, Hirschel taught Corporate Tax, Income Tax and Corporation Law.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America 2006 – 2023.
- "Lawyer of the Year" New Orleans for Trusts and Estates 2016 – 2018.
- "Lawyer of the Year" New Orleans for Litigation - Trusts and Estates 2023.
- Chambers and Partners High Net Worth Guide 2016 – 2022.
- Senior Statesperson 2018 – 2022.
- Louisiana Super Lawyers 2007 – 2023.
- New Orleans Magazine "Top Lawyer" 2012 – 2022.
- New Orleans CityBusiness 2009 Leadership in Law honoree.
University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1971
- Order of the Coif
- Served on the Virginia Law Review
University of Mississippi, B.B.A. in Accounting