With more than 40 years of legal experience, John Landis concentrates his commercial litigation practice primarily on bankruptcy, construction, land use and antitrust disputes. As co-chair of the firm’s Bankruptcy Practice Group, John regularly assists clients in a multitude of Chapter 11 and bankruptcy matters, including reorganizations and foreclosures.
Among his successes, John served as lead debtor’s counsel in the successful reorganization of a national construction company that resolved over $2 billion of claims and preserved a tax credit of over $100 million.
- Successfully represented a pipeline operator in defeating expropriation of a servitude by another pipeline operator based on the trial court's findings that the expropriation lacked a public purpose and that it would impair competition between the two operators.
- Obtained substantial arbitration award in favor of hotel owner against contractor of previous owner for construction defects.
- Successfully defended former CEO of a public company against claims asserted in its Chapter 11 case and successfully opposed confirmation of the company’s plan of reorganization.
- Regularly represents a CMBS special servicer in real estate foreclosure and bankruptcy cases.
- Achieved a pre-trial settlement for a large building owner in a construction defect case that permitted the owner to completely replace the building’s waterproofing and replace its brick façade.
- Obtained a $2 million arbitration award against a national computer software company for a customer damaged by a failed implementation of ERP software.
- Served as lead debtor’s counsel in the successful reorganization of a national construction company that resolved over $2 billion of claims and preserved a tax credit of over $100 million.
- Enforced a national lender’s rights to $60 million of equipment lease payments in its borrower’s Chapter 11 case; and subsequently assisted the client in collecting payments through litigation and arbitration.
- Lead counsel in the successful jury-trial defense of bad faith claims against a national property insurer.
- Represented the plaintiff in the landmark antitrust tying arrangement case, Jefferson Parish Hospital District No. 2 v. Hyde, 466 U.S. 2 (1984).
- Regularly counsels construction and other clients on antitrust issues.
- Representing a lender in asserting vessel title insurance claims arising from the bankruptcy of an offshore casino operator.
- Ongoing pro bono representation of a juvenile offender in state and federal post-conviction proceedings.
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
- Louisiana State Bar Association House of Delegates member.
- American Bankruptcy Institute member.
- The Bar Association of The Fifth Federal Circuit member.
- New Orleans Bar Association member.
- The Sports Lawyers Association member
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Benchmark Litigation 2020 "Local Litigation Star."
- Best Lawyers in America 2006 – 2024.
- Chambers and Partners 2007 – 2018.
- Louisiana Super Lawyers 2009 – 2020 and 2022 – 2023.
- New Orleans Magazine "Top Lawyer" 2012 – 2022.
News & Events
In the News
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Federal Court of Appeals
- Louisiana Federal and State Courts
Tulane University Law School, J.D., 1976
- Order of the Coif
- Elected to the Tulane Law Review Board of Editors, 1974-75
- Associate Editor, Tulane Law Review, 1975-76
Washington & Lee University, 1972
- Law clerk to the Honorable Morey L. Sear, U.S. District Court, 1976-77.