Successfully defended former CEO of a public company against claims asserted in its Chapter 11 case and successfully opposed confirmation of the company’s plan of reorganization.
Regularly represents a CMBS special servicer in real estate foreclosure and bankruptcy cases.
Achieved a pre-trial settlement for a large building owner in a construction defect case that permitted the owner to completely replace the building’s waterproofing and replace its brick façade.
Obtained a $2 million arbitration award against a national computer software company for a customer damaged by a failed implementation of ERP software.
Served as lead debtor’s counsel in the successful reorganization of a national construction company that resolved over $2 billion of claims and preserved a tax credit of over $100 million.
Enforced a national lender’s rights to $60 million of equipment lease payments in its borrower’s Chapter 11 case; and subsequently assisted the client in collecting payments through litigation and arbitration.
Lead counsel in the successful jury-trial defense of bad faith claims against a national property insurer.
Represented the plaintiff in the landmark antitrust tying arrangement case, Jefferson Parish Hospital District No. 2 v. Hyde, 466 U.S. 2 (1984).
Regularly counsels construction and other clients on antitrust issues.
Representing a lender in asserting vessel title insurance claims arising from the bankruptcy of an offshore casino operator.
Ongoing pro bono representation of a juvenile offender in state and federal post-conviction proceedings.
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
Mr. Landis was law clerk to the Honorable Morey L. Sear, U.S. District Court, 1976-77. He is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and the American, Fifth Federal Circuit and New Orleans Bar Associations, and the Sports Lawyers Association.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
Mr. Landis has been named to The Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA, and Louisiana Super Lawyers. He has also been recognized as a Top Lawyer by New Orleans magazine and a Local Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation.
- Three Stone Pigman Lawyers Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers; 33 Named to Best Lawyers List08.15.2019
- Thirty-Three Lawyers Named 2016 Louisiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars; Wayne Lee Featured on the Cover12.24.2015
- Thirty-One Lawyers Named 2015 Louisiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars; Phil Wittmann Ranked Number One for Second Year in a Row12.24.2014
- Twenty-Seven Lawyers Named 2014 Louisiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars; Phil Wittmann Ranked Number One12.30.2013
News & Events
In the News
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Federal Court of Appeals
- Louisiana Federal and State Courts
Tulane University Law School, J.D., 1976
- Order of the Coif
- Elected to the Tulane Law Review Board of Editors, 1974-75
- Associate Editor, Tulane Law Review , 1975-76
Washington & Lee University, 1972