Nicholas Wehlen concentrates his practice on securities and business litigation. He has experience representing clients on appellate matters, including complex appeals in both federal and Louisiana state courts. He currently serves as chair of the firm’s Securities Litigation Practice Group.
Nick notably obtained a dismissal on summary judgement of a $100 million claim against a client in federal court litigation. He has also represented law firms in connection with both fee disputes and cases involving claims of legal malpractice or negligence.
- Representation of clients in appellate matters in federal and Louisiana state court.
- Secured a dismissal on summary judgment of a $100 million claim against an investment consultant in federal court litigation.
- Secured a dismissal on summary judgment of a claim against a law firm seeking a portion of an attorney's fee awarded in multi-district litigation.
- Successfully represented a bank in litigating bad faith claims against an insurance company.
- Successfully represented a bank in defending numerous cases filed by victims of an alleged Ponzi scheme operated by a third-party.
- Representation of claimants seeking to recover investment losses or other damages in FINRA arbitration proceedings.
- Representation of law firms in connection with both fee disputes and cases involving claims of legal malpractice or negligence.
- Representation of a public housing agency and other entities and individuals in connection with public bid and construction disputes.
- Representation of a major manufacturer of computer equipment in a breach of contract/unfair trade practices action where the plaintiff alleged in excess of $1 billion in damages plus punitive damages. Case filed in the Civil District Court for the Parish of Orleans, State of Louisiana.
- Successfully defended a former CEO in bankruptcy court litigation with a public company debtor.
- Has represented various creditors in bankruptcy adversary proceedings.
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association member.
- Bar Association of The Fifth Federal Circuit member
- Louisiana State Bar Association member.
- New Orleans Bar Association Board Member.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America 2021 - 2023.
- Louisiana Super Lawyers 2020 - 2022.
- Rising Star 2012 - 2018.
- New Orleans Magazine "Top Lawyer" 2013 - 2021.
News & Events
"2015 Recent Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation," American Bar Association Business Law Section Spring Meeting, April 16, 2015.
"Employment Issues and Non-compete Agreements," Louisiana Pest Management Association Summer Convention, June 18, 2014.
- Co-Author, "Securities Arbitration Law," chapter in Recent Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation, published annually by the American Bar Association, 2015-2018.
- "Unscheduled Debtor Assets: A Risk to Purchasers in Good Faith?" American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, RPTE eReport, June 15, 2010.
- Arbitration: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, ABA Business Law Section, 2005 Spring Meeting.
- United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Louisiana Federal and State Courts
Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University, J.D., 2004
- Order of the Coif
- Associate, Louisiana Law Review
Louisiana State University, 2001