Nick Wehlen focuses his practice on appellate and business litigation matters. He has significant experience assisting individuals and businesses in filing and opposing supervisory writ applications in Louisiana's appellate courts and petitions for certiorari in the Louisiana Supreme Court. Nick has been engaged by clients to serve as their appellate counsel before trial in the district court, in order to assist trial counsel in preserving arguments and improving the chance of success on appeal. Nick has successfully argued to the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and in Louisiana appellate court, and guides clients through all aspects of the appellate process.
Nick also routinely represents clients in complex business disputes, many of which involve claims of unfair trade practices, breach of contract, and fraud. He notably obtained a dismissal on summary judgment of a $100 million securities claim in federal court, and he has successfully defended law firms and attorneys in cases involving allegations of legal malpractice.
Nick currently sits on the New Orleans Bar Association's Board of Directors, serves on the firm's Management Committee, and is co-chair of the firm's Appellate Practice Group.
- Representation of law firm in a fee dispute in an appeal before the U.S. Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Secured dismissal on the pleadings of a claim against the Louisiana Department of Economic Development through a supervisory writ application filed in the Louisiana First Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully argued a summary judgment motion in federal court in New Jersey, thereby securing the dismissal of a multimillion dollar claim against a law firm client.
- Successfully defended arbitration claims against members and managers of an LLC.
- Secured a dismissal of summary judgment of a $100 million claim against an investment consultant in federal court litigation.
- Successfully represented a bank in litigating bad faith claims against an insurance company.
- Successfully represented a bank in defending numerous cases filed by victims of an alleged Ponzi scheme operated by a third-party.
- Representation of a public housing agency and other entities and individuals in connection with public bid and construction disputes.
- Representation of a major manufacturer of computer equipment in a breach of contract/unfair trade practices action where the plaintiff alleged in excess of $1 billion in damages plus punitive damages. Case filed in the Civil District Court for the Parish of Orleans, State of Louisiana.
- Successfully defended a former CEO in bankruptcy court litigation with a public company debtor.
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
- New Orleans Bar Association Board of Directors member.
- American Bar Association member.
- Bar Association of The Fifth Federal Circuit member
- Louisiana State Bar Association member.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America 2021 - 2024.
- Louisiana Super Lawyers 2020 - 2023.
- Rising Star 2012 - 2018.
- New Orleans Magazine "Top Lawyer" 2013 - 2023.
News & Events
"Writ Practice," New Orleans Bar Association 2022 Procrastinators' Programs, December 28, 2022.
"Standards of Review," Louisiana State Bar Association's Advanced Appellate Practice Seminar, December 2, 2022.
"2015 Recent Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation," American Bar Association Business Law Section Spring Meeting, April 16, 2015.
"Employment Issues and Non-compete Agreements," Louisiana Pest Management Association Summer Convention, June 18, 2014.
- Co-Author, "Securities Arbitration Law," chapter in Recent Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation, published annually by the American Bar Association, 2015-2018.
- "Unscheduled Debtor Assets: A Risk to Purchasers in Good Faith?" American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, RPTE eReport, June 15, 2010.
- Arbitration: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, ABA Business Law Section, 2005 Spring Meeting.
- United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Louisiana Federal and State Courts
Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University, J.D., 2004
- Order of the Coif
- Associate, Louisiana Law Review
Louisiana State University, 2001