Stone Pigman's reputation was built in the courtroom. We have a long history of successfully representing businesses, both large and small, in a wide variety of lawsuits and claims, including disputes concerning contracts, real estate development and land use, landlord-tenant issues and property rights. We also have extensive experience in business tort cases involving RICO, unfair trade practices and trade secrets. Our practice of putting together teams of lawyers, including lawyers from our Business Section, has proved particularly useful to our clients engaged in defending or pursuing intra-company disputes.
Our experienced Business Litigation Group takes on many of the most significant and complex commercial litigation cases in the region. Clients range from local business owners and individuals to Fortune 100 companies - and our trial experience ranges from contract disputes to the most complex commercial matters. Our litigators' depth of knowledge and experience, preparation and courtroom skills set us apart from the competition.
When you need reliable, efficient attorneys to handle your routine business matters, we can ably fulfill that need. And when you need counsel for unique and high-risk matters, our litigation team can provide that representation. We focus on your business objectives while quickly and efficiently representing your legal interests. This may call for negotiation and mediation, or for aggressive and proactive discovery and motion practice. We will work with you to defend your interests, prosecute claims on your behalf, and represent you vigorously at all stages of the litigation.
We recognize that litigation means lost time and profits for our clients. We focus on avoiding drawn-out disputes, and instead focus on targeted discovery and meaningful substantive motions, settlement opportunities, and alternative dispute resolution choices.
Some representative matters our Commercial and Complex Litigation attorneys have handled include:
- Successfully represented a national computer network services company in a suit for breach of a $200+ million public contract governed by the Federal Acquisition Regulations filed by the State of Louisiana with the ultimate result of a dismissal of the State's $17 million counterclaim, an agreement on a termination for convenience claim and a $25+ million arbitration award in favor of the client.
- In state court, represented the managing partners and 50% owners of a $100+ million retail, commercial and residential development in a suit brought by the other partner for dissolution of the partnership and for damages alleged to have resulted from mismanagement."
- Successfully defended a major motion picture actor/director/producer in a federal jury trial involving $18 million claims of securities law violations and fraud brought by investors, including actor Stephen Baldwin, in an oil-spill-remediation technology corporation.
- Representing a Louisiana Succession in several litigation matters relating to significant land and mineral interests in northwest Louisiana in the Haynesville Shale area. The firm has represented the Succession in successfully sustaining on appeal a multi-million dollar judgment nullifying certain business transactions affecting hundreds of acres of land and mineral interests and certain corporate and LLC membership interests. The firm continues to represent the Succession in ongoing disputes relating to those interests, involving claims of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and mismanagement, as well as, challenging an excessive attorney fee arrangement with their former counsel.
- In federal court, Stone Pigman obtained summary judgment in favor of a national law firm in a $5 million lawsuit by a former client alleging civil RICO and state-law claims.
- Representing an investment consulting firm in a lawsuit in Louisiana arising out of the failure of a Morgan Keegan bond fund. The litigation involves claims of securities law violations as well as state law claims of fraud, deceptive trade practices, negligence and detrimental reliance.
- In the Louisiana trial and lower appellate courts as well as the Louisiana Supreme Court, Stone Pigman successfully represented a major national research university in a dispute that arose out of the university's decision to merge its seven undergraduate colleges into a unified undergraduate college.
- Representing a local apartment complex owner in litigation with contractors following disputes regarding contractual performance and interpretation of payment clauses in multi-million dollar repair contracts following hurricane damages to the complex.
News & Events
- Carmelite Bertaut Reappointed as Co-Chair of Regional Meetings Committee of the ABA Section of Litigation06.28.2016
- Louisiana Supreme Court Rules that there is No Cause of Action Under Louisiana Law for Negligent Spoliation of Evidence06.30.2015
- Paul Masinter Appointed to Leadership Positions for the Business and Corporate Litigation Committee of the American Bar Association Section of Business Law07.22.2014
Honors & Awards
In the News
- Paul Masinter and Bryant York Author Article on Social Media and Its Impact on the Practice of Litigation03.17.2016
- The U.S. Supreme Court Leaves the Door Open for a Wave of Off-Label Drug Marketing Claims under RICO . . . at Least in the First Circuit03.18.2014
- Carmelite Bertaut, Lesli Harris and Heather Lonian will Speak at a New Orleans Bar Association CLE Program09.07.2016
- Carmelite Bertaut to Participate on "Dealing with Difficult Judges: What They Don't Teach in Law Schools" Panel Presentation04.11.2014
- Brett Mason to Participate on Recent Developments in the Law of Seamen Panel at Forum on Admiralty & Maritime Claims and Litigation Conference02.27.2014
- Paul Masinter to Moderate "Keeping Cool When Betting the Company" Panel at the 2013 ABA Annual Meeting08.10.2013
- April 19-21, 2013