- Represents corporations and individuals under investigation for, or who have been charged with, a broad range of state or federal crimes, including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, racketeering, banking/financial offenses, corruption, wire fraud, immigration offenses, environmental crimes and many other violations.
- Defends owners, operators and crew members of motor vessels who have been charged with environmental crimes.
- Assists corporations with internal investigations and compliance programs, including Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance.
- Counsels clients on all aspects of privacy and information security laws, including the Federal Wiretap Statute and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
- Peter is an Executive Committee Member of the Criminal Law Practice Group of The Federalist Society for Law & Public Policy Studies; and is an Executive Committee Member of the New Orleans Lawyer's Chapter.
- Louisiana State Bar Association member.
- Metropolitan Crime Commission of New Orleans former Board Member.
- Peter previously served for 20 years as an Adjunct Professor of Trial Advocacy at Tulane Law School.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America 2014 – 2021.
- Louisiana Super Lawyers 2013 – 2021.
- New Orleans Magazine "Top Lawyer" 2014 – 2020.
- New Orleans CityBusiness 2013 Leadership in Law honoree.
- Prior to private practice, Peter was recognized numerous times by government agencies, including a Special Commendation Award given by the U.S. Attorney General for completing the Justice Department's Leadership Excellence and Achievement Program; Special Commendation by FBI Director for outstanding performance for successful corruption prosecution after Hurricane Katrina; Special Award from the U.S. Postal Service for prosecution of corrupt employee; Special Award by New Orleans Police Department, ATF, and U.S. Department of Justice for his contributions to Project Exile; and Special Awards for Outstanding Contributions to Drug Law Enforcement from the Drug Enforcement Administration.
News & Events
- Matt Almon and Peter Thomson to Present on Data Security Compliance, Response and Internal Investigations07.31.2015
In the News
"Screening and Charging Decisions – Civil Considerations," Louisiana State Bar Association 11th Annual White Collar Crime Symposium, April 2019.
"Prosecution and Defense of Public Corruption and Fraud Cases in Louisiana," Louisiana State Bar Association 10th Annual White Collar Crime Symposium, April 2018.
"Weaver v. Massachusetts," SCOTUScast hosted by The Federalist Society, May 2017.
"The Status and Future of Federal White Collar Prosecutions in Louisiana," Louisiana State Bar Association 9th Annual White Collar Crime Symposium, April 2017.
"Plea Bargaining and Sentencing -- Strategy from Both Sides -- U.S. Sentencing Guidelines," Louisiana State Bar Association 8th Annual White Collar Crime Symposium, April 2016.
"The Smith General Store Data Breach Investigation Response," Data Security Compliance and Response & Internal Investigations CLE program for the Association of Corporate Counsel Louisiana Chapter, July 2015.
"Robers v. United States - Post-Decision," SCOTUScast for The Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies, May 2014.
"GPS Surveillance and the Supreme Court: U.S. v. Jones," Teleforum for the Criminal Law & Procedure Practice Group of The Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies, February 2012.
"Criminal Defense Attorney Tactics," Louisiana Forgery and Fraud Investigators Association, 2011.
"Testifying in Federal Court," St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office, POST Academy, 2009.
"Trends in Identity Theft," Louisiana Insurance Agents Association, 2009.
- "Taylor v. United States," The Federalist Society blog, February 29, 2016.
- "Interpol’s Transnational Policing By 'Red Notice' and 'Diffusions': Procedural Standards, Systemic Abuses, and Reforms Necessary to Assure Fairness and Integrity," Engage Volume 16, Issue 2, published by The Federalist Society, September 2015.
- "A Comprehensive Strategy Targeting Recidivist Criminals with Continuous Real-Time GPS Monitoring: Is Reverse Engineering Crime Control Possible?" The Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies publication, November 2011.
- "Supreme Court Strikes Down Mandatory Provisions of Federal Sentencing Guidelines," The Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies white paper, January 2005.
- "Supreme Court Decision Spawns Swirl of Controversy Over Sentencing Guidelines," The Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies white paper, July 2004.
- "USA Patriot Act's 'Roving' Electronic Surveillance Amendment to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act," The Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies white paper, March 2004.
- United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Louisiana Federal and State Courts
Tulane University Law School, J.D., 1983
Tulane University, College of Arts & Sciences, B.A., 1978