Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers Secretary and Board of Governors member.
- American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Past Chair.
- The Association for Real Property and Infrastructure Immediate Past Chair.
- Louisiana State Law Institute Council member and Past President.
- New Orleans CREW (Commercial Real Estate Women) founding member.
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys member.
- Bank Counsel Committee of the Louisiana Bankers Association member.
- New Orleans Business Alliance Board member.
- International Council of Shopping Centers member.
- LSU Foundation Professional Advisory Council member.
- Episcopal Diocese of Louisiana's Vice Chancellor of real estate.
- Louisiana Chapter of the International Women's Forum member.
- Susan is the past Chair of the Advisory Board for WWNO, an NPR affiliate radio station, and is a member of its Development and Marketing Committee.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America 1995 – 2021.
- "Lawyer of the Year" New Orleans for Real Estate Law 2009, 2014, 2016, and 2019.
- "Lawyer of the Year" New Orleans for Banking and Finance Law 2010 and 2015.
- Chambers and Partners 2003 – 2020.
- Star Individual in Real Estate 2020.
- Louisiana Super Lawyers 2007 – 2021.
- Top 10 Louisiana Lawyers 2008 – 2012 and 2017 – 2021.
- Top 50 Louisiana Lawyers 2008 – 2021.
- Top 25 Louisiana Women Lawyers 2007 – 2021.
- Top 50 New Orleans Lawyers 2013 – 2021.
- New Orleans Magazine "Top Lawyer" 2012 – 2020.
- Who's Who Legal--The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers recognized Susan in 2013 as one of the most highly regarded individuals in real estate, an honor given to only 10 individuals worldwide per year. She was also included in Who's Who Legal: Real Estate in 2014 - 2017.
- The Lawdragon 500 Dealmakers in America.
News & Events
In the News
Speaker, "The Perfect Storn - The COVID-19 Convergence of Lease and Loan Document Provisions," Louisiana Bankers Association Virtual Bank Counsel Conference, December 2020.
Round Table Leader, "Developing Retail Projects on Government Owned Properties," International Council of Shopping Centers Law Conference, October 2014.
Speaker, "Shifting Times: America’s Evolving Demographics and Market Conditions," American College of Real Estate Lawyers Fall Meeting, October 2013.
Speaker, "Non-Recourse Carveout Guaranties in Commercial Loans: Drafting Tips To Avoid Unintended Liabilities," American College of Real Estate Lawyers and the American Law Institute webinar, February 2013.
Speaker, "Keeping It Real: Lessons in the Structuring, Handling and Teaching of Real Estate Transactions in the Wake of the Great Real Estate Recession," Association of American Law Schools 2013 Annual Meeting, January 2013.
Co-Author, "Roundtable," Who's Who Legal: Real Estate, September 2015 and September 2014.
Co-Author, "Assignments of Retail Leases in Bankruptcy," Chapter 20, and "Drafting the Lease to Maintain Landlord Control in a Shopping Center Tenant's Bankruptcy," Chapter 25 of The Sublease and Assignment Deskbook: Legal Issues, Forms, and Drafting Techniques for Commercial Lease Transfers, Second Edition, 2013.
Author, "Selected Issues in Construction Lending," ALI CLE Commercial Real Estate Financing Strategies for Changing Markets and Uncertain Times, 2010.
Co-Author, "Equity and Debt Financing Techniques for the Mixed Use Project," ALI CLE Commercial Real Estate Financing Strategies for Changing Markets and Uncertain Times, 2010.
Co-Author, "Drafting the Lease to Maintain Landlord Control in a Shopping Center Tenant's Bankruptcy," Chapter 19 of The Sublease and Assignment Deskbook (2006).
Author, "My Katrina Story," Probate & Property, Vol. 20 No. 5, September/October 2006.
Author, "Assignments of Retail Leases in Bankruptcy, Part 1 - What’s Left of the Lease?" Probate & Property, Vol. 19 No.1, January/February 2005.
Author, "Assignments of Retail Leases in Bankruptcy, Part II - On the Right Track?" Probate & Property, Vol. 19 No. 2, March/April 2005.
Tulane University Law School, J.D., summa cum laude, 1981
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Served on the Tulane Law Review Board of Editors, 1979-81, and Business Manager, 1980-81
Louisiana State University, summa cum laude, 1978