- Defended a Hollywood actor/director/producer in a federal jury trial involving $18 million claims of securities law violations and fraud brought by investors, including actor Stephen Baldwin, in an oil-spill-remediation technology corporation.
- Representing small Louisiana insurance company in class action challenging its handling of first party total loss motor vehicle claims.
- Defended major insurance company in a class action lawsuit that alleged that third-party claimants are automatically entitled to recover for diminished value of damaged automobiles. After an evidentiary hearing, the trial court certified both a plaintiff and a defendant class. Successfully obtained a reversal of that judgment on appeal.
- Defended insurance company against class action lawsuits that alleged improper handling of claims arising out of a large hail storm in a three-parish area. After securing a consolidation of the cases filed in Orleans Parish Court, he successfully defeated the plaintiffs' motion for class certification after an evidentiary bench trial.
- Defended insurance companies in an array of claims alleging bad faith claims handling of property damage and/or personal injury claims.
- Defended the Housing Authority of New Orleans ("HANO") in class action lawsuit filed by certain residents of the Desire Housing Development alleging failure to comply with federal guidelines.
- Defended HANO in class action filed by certain residents of housing developments who allegedly suffered damage from mold.
- Defended insurance company in the Federal District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana in two class action lawsuits in which the plaintiffs alleged that the insurance company's use of credit reports in analyzing certain insurance claims violated the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
- Wayne was elected as the first African American President of the Louisiana State Bar Association and served on the House of Delegates and Board of Governors. He was the former Chair of the Practice Assistance and Improvement Committee, the Continuing Legal Education Program Committee, and the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Committee and the former Co-Chair of the Standing Committee on Diversity.
- American Bar Association member and former member of House of Delegates, the Commission on Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Profession, and the Standing Committee on the Federal Judiciary.
- Board of Administrators of the Tulane Educational Fund member 2004 – 2016 and Emeritus since 2016.
- Louisiana Indigent Defense Assistance Board former member.
- Federal District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana Civil Justice Reform Act Advisory Group former Chair.
- Lawyer Disciplinary Committee for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana former Co-Chair and Vice Chair.
- Louisiana Board of Regents for Higher Education former member.
- Board of the Audubon Nature Institute Past Chairman.
- Board of Directors for Attorneys' Liability Assurance Society, Ltd.
- Tulane University Inn of Court member.
- Advisory Board of Editors of the Tulane Law Review member.
- Louis A. Martinet Society member.
- American Bar Association member.
- National Bar Association member.
- Louisiana State Bar Association member.
- New Orleans Bar Association member.
- The Bar Association of The Fifth Federal Circuit member.
- American College of Trial Lawyers Fellow.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Louisiana State Bar Association President's Award recipient in 1993, 1998, and 2010.
- Louisiana Bar Foundation's Board of Directors Distinguished Attorney honoree 2006.
- Tulane Law School Hall of Fame 2013 inaugural class inductee.
- National Bar Association Hall of Fame inductee 2018.
- Benchmark Litigation "Local Litigation Star" 2020.
- Greater New Orleans Louis A. Martinet Legal Society's Lifetime Achievement Award 2019 recipient.
- Best Lawyers in America 2005 – 2021.
- "Lawyer of the Year" New Orleans for Insurance Law 2012 and 2021.
- "Lawyer of the Year" New Orleans for Antitrust Litigation 2016 and 2018.
- Chambers and Partners 2007 – 2020.
- Louisiana Super Lawyers 2007 – 2020.
- New Orleans Magazine "Top Lawyer" 2012 – 2020.
- New Orleans CityBusiness Leadership in Law Hall of Fame inductee.
News & Events
- April 19-21, 2013
In the News