Drawing on its beginnings in the 1970s as a substantial practice in both oil and gas property transactions and finance, Stone Pigman has developed an interdisciplinary approach to natural resources and environmental services. We are experienced in all major areas of environmental law, including mineral rights and reclamation, landowner "legacy" suits, air, water and waste permitting, Superfund clean-up, hazardous and solid waste management, recycling and disposal, air and water quality, toxic substances and wetlands and other real estate development and lending requirements. Our lawyers are able to handle land use and zoning issues, including riparian and wetlands issues.
Our representation includes counseling of corporate and individual clients on federal and state legislation and regulation; environmental permitting and compliance proceedings; NEPA challenges, and negotiations with the Environmental Protection Agency and other federal and state entities regarding site investigations, sitings and cleanups. The firm has participated at the state level in the drafting of and lobbying for proposed legislation, as well as other environmental rulemaking matters.
Our lawyers are active in the defense of industry manufacturers, waste storage facilities, refiners, chemical production, and metal recyclers, manufacturers and insurers in asbestos, environmental cleanup, waste exposure, environmental discharge and other toxic tort litigation. The firm has represented clients in actions brought by the Department of Justice, the Environmental Protection Agency and the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality for regulatory compliance actions for CERCLA claims.
We regularly work with experts in toxicology, environmental science, chemistry, conservation, and hazardous materials management. We have the experience and resources needed to address technical issues that often arise in court and to satisfy the concerns of regulators, communities, and individuals.
Some recent representations have included:
- BP Oil Spill Litigation. Stone Pigman represented the manufacturer of the blow-out preventer on the Deepwater Horizon Well in the consolidated Deepwater Horizon Multi-District Litigation in federal court.
- Defense of numerous legacy oilfield site lawsuits for major and independent oil and gas companies.
- Defense of major oil company in connection with an OPA cost recovery action and associated tort claims.
- Representation of a refinery in connection with administrative enforcement actions brought by the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality.
- Counsel to several business and industrial clients' representation includes various environmental regulatory, adjudicatory, compliance, and permitting issues.
- Defense of a large real estate developer in criminal and civil enforcement actions for alleged Clean Water Act violations.
- Waste Management Mass Torts. Stone Pigman represented Waste Management in resolving class and mass actions alleging various personal injuries relating to exposure to compounds at waste disposal facilities.
- Tank Care Chemical Release Class Action. Stone Pigman represented a major petroleum company in a toxic tort class action filed on behalf of approximately 8,000 residents alleging personal injuries resulting from a tank car fire and chemical release. The case was tried to verdict for 20 bellwether plaintiffs resulting in several zero awards and generally favorable defense verdicts.