Brittany Carnes Melancon focuses her practice on corporate and business law, mergers and acquisitions, and real estate matters. She has represented several start-up companies looking to raise capital through the sale of securities, including performing research on state-specific blue sky laws and drafting corporate consents.
Brittany also has experience assisting legal teams in construction matters, arbitration awards, and business disputes.
- Assisted in representation of local special taxing district, including negotiating and drafting cooperative endeavor agreements, attending public board meetings, and advising on various matters specific to public bodies.
- Assisted various emerging companies working to raise capital by preparing and submitting state and federal securities filings.
- Assisted various emerging companies in the preparation and revision of their privacy policies, terms of service, and consulting and provider agreements.
- Assisted clients in forming LLCs and corporations in Louisiana and Delaware by preparing the requisite articles of formation, operating agreements, and bylaws.
- Assisted in refinancing of a portfolio of restaurants, including review of zoning reports, drafting tenant estoppel letters and lease amendments, and related due diligence matters.
- Assisted in representation of real estate development company as local counsel in acquisition of residential property in Baton Rouge, including performing a review of local zoning regulations.
- Assisted in representation of non-profit animal rescue planning to open a shelter by researching federal, state, and local licensing, regulatory, and zoning requirements.
- Assisted in representation of global hotel chain in converting management structure of New Orleans hotel, including research related to state and local permitting and licensing requirements.
- Assisted in representation of private equity group as local counsel in purchase of historic New Orleans theater, including research related to state and local permitting and licensing requirements.
- Acted as pro bono counsel in federal litigation involving claims of violation of client’s civil rights, resulting in favorable settlement for client.
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association member.
- Louisiana State Bar Association member.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- New Orleans Magazine "Top Lawyer" 2023.
News & Events
- State v. Curley: Modernizing Battered Woman's Syndrome in Louisiana (Loyola Law Review, Spring 2019)
- Face ID and Fingerprints: Modernizing Fifth Amendment Protections for Cell Phones (Loyola Law Review, Spring 2020)
Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2020
- Managing Editor, Loyola Law Review
- William Crowe Scholar
- Phi Delta Phi International Legal Honor Society member
Tulane University, B.A., cum laude, English and Classical Studies, 2014
- Judicial Intern for Judge Joseph C. Wilkinson, Jr. at the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
- Student Extern for the City Attorney's Office in New Orleans, Louisiana.