Stone Pigman lawyers work with project developers, private and governmental lenders, advisors and underwriters on the development of domestic and international industrial and energy projects. We assist clients through every phase of the acquisition and development process: planning and structuring, real estate and environmental due diligence, permitting and applications for government approvals and incentives and reviewing and drafting construction and operating contacts. We assemble teams of experienced lawyers from a variety of legal disciplines across our turnkey services platform -- including real estate, tax, corporate, environmental, regulatory and employment -- to advance our clients' projects.
Our lawyers have in-depth experience with project financings that utilize conventional financing, equity investments, joint ventures and partnerships, sale/leaseback transactions, construction and long-term loans, issuance of public and private securities and taxable and tax-free bond financings.
Stone Pigman lawyers have demonstrated their expertise in project finance and development over the course of a variety of projects in numerous jurisdictions. Members of the firm have played key roles in the development of liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminals for liquefaction and regasification, crude oil and petroleum product pipeline projects, gas pipelines, marine transportation of LNG, crude oil and petroleum products, petrochemical plants, underground storage facilities, offshore drill rigs and a wind energy-generating facility. These projects have spanned the globe, including locations in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, Europe, the Former Soviet Union, Africa, the Middle East and East Asia.
Selected Representative Matters
Stone Pigman lawyers have had or presently have major roles in the following matters:
- Representing various investor groups in the planning and development of LNG receiving terminals for the North American market and export terminals for the world market.
- Representing an independent oil and gas company in the development of an LNG receiving terminal in Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Representing investors in the development of an LNG receiving terminal in Mexico.
- Negotiated, drafted and structured land-related documents for onshore Texas and Louisiana LNG vaporization facilities.
- Representing a European/Chilean consortium in the development of an LNG regasification facility in Northern Chile.
- Representing a major U.S. oil company in working with Chinese authorities to develop an LNG regasification facility.
- Representing investors in the development of LNG export terminals in Angola, Canada, Colombia, Indonesia, Israel, Trinidad, United States and Yemen.
Oil & Gas
- Representing a consortium of Mexican, Spanish and U.S. interests in negotiations with Pemex (the Mexican state-owned petroleum company) and lenders for developing and financing a gasoline additives plant in Coatzacoalcos, Mexico.
- Representing a Danish oil and gas company in a $7.5 billion oil and gas development project in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Representing a U.S. oil company in the financing of offshore oil field development activities in Ghana.
- Representing Japanese interests in development of a proposed petroleum refinery in partnership with Pemex.
- Representing U.S. interests in the development of a petrochemical plant in Shanghai.
- Representing U.S. interests in the acquisition, development and operation of oil and gas fields throughout the world.
Power & Renewables
- Representing developers in connection with the financing, construction and sale of an 80-megawatt wind energy generating facility consisting of 80 wind turbines in West Texas.
- Representing a U.S. pipeline company in planning the development of a petroleum products pipeline running from Dar es Salaam to the Ugandan border.
- Assisted with Federal Energy Regulatory Commission certificates for Texas and Louisiana pipeline systems.
- Representing a Texas bank in connection with the financing of a pipeline compressor station in Canada.
- Assisted with the acquisition of Louisiana petroleum pipelines.
- Representation of a major international company in the development of a crude oil pipeline from Chad through Cameroon to the Atlantic coast.
- Representation of a U.S. company in the acquisition of a Colombian natural gas pipeline.