Scott Whittaker concentrates his practice on mergers and acquisitions, corporate and business law, and all phases of real estate development and financing.
With more than 35 years of experience, Scott has counseled companies with operations across the world, including international restaurant chains and global commodity trading companies, in their business needs. In New Orleans, he has been a key player in developing many of the public-private partnerships that have revitalized the Crescent City, including the redevelopment of the former World Trade Center building into the Four Seasons Hotel and Residences, and the redevelopment of the historic Saenger Theatre and the Harrah's New Orleans Casino.
Scott is also an integral part of Stone Pigman's CornerStone Program, which provides legal services to selected startups, entrepreneurs, and development stage companies.
- Represented the Chicago Bridge and Iron Company (CB&I) as Louisiana counsel in its acquisition of a Louisiana-based company in a transaction valued at over $3 billion. The acquisition, which closed in February 2013, created one of the most complete energy-focused technology, engineering, procurement, fabrication, construction, maintenance, and associated services companies in the world with a global workforce of nearly 50,000 employees and a backlog of over $28 billion.
- Represented Westway Group, Inc. in connection with its sale to the Swedish private equity firm, EQT, for a reported $419 million. That transaction, which was accomplished through a tender offer and merger, closed in January 2013. Westway operates bulk liquid storage terminals in North America and Europe.
- Represented a major Louisiana supermarket company in connection with its joint acquisition of a chain of over 100 supermarkets and related facilities located in the states of Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Missouri, and Illinois.
- Represented a major Louisiana health care provider in connection with the split-up of Louisiana's first statewide health maintenance organization, which then had over 100,000 members.
- Represented a major shareholder in connection with the sale of an international restaurant chain, with owned and franchised locations in 28 states and foreign countries.
- Represented a global commodity trading company in connection with its acquisition of the second largest green coffee trading business in the world, with a presence in more than 20 countries.
- Represented a Louisiana based oil field services company, with operations in the Gulf of Mexico, West Africa, Sakhalin Islands, and Brazil, in connection with its sale to a Fortune 100 company, including an ancillary divestiture of the client's Nigerian subsidiary.
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association's Mergers and Acquisitions Committee Past Chair.
- Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) Louisiana Chapter Past President.
- ACG Louisiana Business Community Outreach Committee founder and Chair. This committee is working with a number of partner organizations, including NOLA Business Alliance and Goodwork Network, toward increasing growth and opportunities for minority-owned and other small business in the New Orleans community.
- Scott is a member of the Southeast Super-Region Committee (SRC), which is a joint Committee formed by GNO, Inc. (Greater New Orleans, Inc.) and BRAC (Baton Rouge Area Chamber) for the purpose of fostering cooperation for mutual benefit between the Baton Rouge and Greater New Orleans regions.
- GNO, Inc. Finance Committee member.
- Louisiana State Bar Association's Section on Corporate and Business Law member and former Chairman of the governing council of the Section in 1991-92.
- Scott is also a former Chairman of the Louisiana Supreme Court Committee on Bar Admissions, a committee on which he served in various capacities since 1991 (including over 10 years as Examiner on the subject of Business Entities and Negotiable Instruments).
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America 2005 – 2022.
- "Lawyer of the Year" New Orleans for Venture Capital Law 2014 and 2020.
- "Lawyer of the Year" New Orleans for Corporate Law 2017.
- "Lawyer of the Year" New Orleans for Mergers and Acquisitions Law 2013 and 2022.
- Chambers and Partners 2003 – 2021.
- Louisiana Super Lawyers 2007 – 2022.
- New Orleans Magazine "Top Lawyer" 2012 – 2021.
- Louisiana State Bar Association's President's Award 2011 recipient for his work pertaining to the proposed changes to the Louisiana Bar Examination.
- Louisiana State Bar Associations Stephen T. Victory Memorial Award 2014 recipient.
- New Orleans CityBusiness Leadership in Law honoree in 2005, 2008, and 2015.
- Who's Who Legal - The International Who's Who of Merger & Acquisitions Lawyers.
- This Just In: 24 Stone Pigman Attorneys Named to 2022 Super Lawyers, Three Recognized as Rising Stars12.29.2021
News & Events
In the News
Panelist, "Public-Private Partnerships Driving Equity and Business Growth," Association for Enterprise Opportunity National Conference, May 2014.
Panelist, "Tax and Other Incentives for Entrepreneurship in Louisiana," New Orleans Entrepreneur Week, March 2014.
Panelist, " "Special Issues in Asset Acquisitions" and "Valuation and Purchase Price-Related Issues," American Bar Association's 18th National Institute on Negotiating Business Acquisitions, November 2013.
Moderator, "Who Has the Capital and Where Do I Find It?," Association for Corporate Growth, October 2013.
- Co-Author, Annual Survey of Judicial Developments Pertaining to Mergers and Acquisitions, The Business Lawyer (February 2012). Mr. Whittaker has co-authored this annual survey since its inception in 2001.
- Co-Author, "Negotiated Acquisitions; The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc., Corporate Practice Series", (Bureau of National Affairs, Inc., 2011).
- Co-author, "Model Stock Purchase Agreement With Commentary", (American Bar Association 2010).