The birthplace of jazz famous for its thriving and diverse music industry, New Orleans is also home to two major sports franchises and over the past two decades has become the heart of Louisiana’s booming film industry. Amidst the growing demand for sports and entertainment legal services in the region, Stone Pigman has emerged as a leading resource for organizations and individuals seeking experienced representation. We understand the myriad complex legal issues that come with doing business in the entertainment industry, and our knowledgeable attorneys are ably equipped to handle them.
Stone Pigman lawyers work with producers, musicians, professional sports franchises, fashion designers, artists, and broadcasting companies with their intellectual property, tax, and litigation needs. Our extensive experience makes us uniquely qualified to help our clients navigate the complexities of trademark and copyright laws, tax incentive programs, contract negotiation, and other legal matters.
Representative projects of Stone Pigman’s Sports and Entertainment Practice Group include:
- Represented the purchaser of the New Orleans Hornets (now renamed the New Orleans Pelicans) National Basketball Association franchise in lease negotiations with the New Orleans Arena.
- Represented the New Orleans Saints and the National Football League in a controversial case involving the ownership of the term "Who Dat."
- Successfully defended a major motion picture actor/director/producer in a federal jury trial involving $18 million claims of securities law violations and fraud brought by investors, including actor Stephen Baldwin, in an oil-spill-remediation technology corporation.
- Represented NBC in trademark enforcement matters.
- Represented a NASCAR racing team in action brought by national sponsor for trademark infringement.
- Represent local artists and musicians with obtaining tax credits for their projects.
- Represent start-up internet companies for their intellectual property and corporate organizational needs.
- Represent music venues in various corporate and litigation matters.
News & Events
Honors & Awards
In the News