Michael Walshe's practice focuses on general commercial litigation, intellectual property, insurance defense, procurement and public bid disputes, bankruptcy, securities, and public bid work. He serves as chair of the firm’s Management Committee, co-chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Group, and co-chair of the firm’s Recruiting Committee.
His many accomplishments include successful representation of clients in anti-counterfeiting lawsuits, copyright disputes, defamation claims, and bankruptcy proceedings. Michael has counseled clients ranging from the National Football League to national restaurant chains to major insurance companies. His deep knowledge of the Louisiana legal system coupled with his diverse case work make him a preferred New Orleans litigator.
- Represented a national automobile salvage company in litigation alleging third-party negligent spoliation of evidence. Mr. Walshe successfully argued in front of the Louisiana Supreme Court that Louisiana should not recognize a cause of action for negligent spoliation of evidence.
- Successfully represented NFL Properties, the San Francisco 49ers, and the Baltimore Ravens in a civil anti-counterfeiting lawsuit in connection with Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans.
- Successfully represented the National Football League in a copyright dispute in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
- Successfully represented NBA Properties in a defamation claim in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana.
- Represented significant equity holders in New Orleans Paddlewheels and New Orleans Tours bankruptcy reorganizations.
- Represented local exploration and production company as Debtor's counsel in Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Represented select second lien holders in Legends Gaming Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Represented a public housing agency in a public bid construction dispute in a challenge to a contract for the HVAC (Heating Ventilating and Air Conditioning) system at one of the agency's high rises. Successfully defeated the preliminary injunction and then had the damages case dismissed on an exception of no cause of action granted by the Louisiana Fourth Circuit Court of Appeal.
- Represented co-owners of several affiliated companies in resolution of six-year dispute among shareholders.
- Obtained a judgment on behalf of a creditor against the reorganized debtor and its principal for failing to comply with the bankruptcy plan.
- Defended Papa John's® slogan in a false advertisement suit alleging that Papa John's advertising slogan violated the false advertising laws.
- Represented a regional bank in a suit to enjoin a national insurance company from using a service mark to identify its variable annuity on grounds that the defendant's mark was confusingly similar to the federally registered service mark used by our client to identify its line of mutual funds.
- Defended a major insurance company in a case alleging violations of the Louisiana Insurance Code by collecting installment fees for deferred insurance premium payments.
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
- Federation of Defense and Corporate counsel member, Chair of the Intellectual Property Section, and Projects and Objectives Committee member.
- New Orleans Regional Leadership Institute graduate.
- Metropolitan Area Committee Leadership Forum graduate.
- Louisiana State Bar Association member.
- Academy of the Sacred Heart former trustee and former chair of the Legal and Insurance Committee.
- Former member of the Board of Trustees and the Executive Committee of the Greater New Orleans Educational Television Foundation, which oversees the operations of New Orleans' public television station WYES.
- Michael has also served on the Louisiana Children's Museum Early Learning Village Steering Committee and on the Museum's Board of Directors where he served as Vice-President and Treasurer.
- Carrollton Boosters former league coordinator and coach for little league baseball.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America 2016 – 2022.
- Louisiana Super Lawyers 2019 – 2022.
- New Orleans Magazine "Top Lawyer" 2012 – 2021.
- New Orleans CityBusiness 2013 Leadership in Law honoree.
- This Just In: 24 Stone Pigman Attorneys Named to 2022 Super Lawyers, Three Recognized as Rising Stars12.29.2021
News & Events
In the News
"First Amendment and Offensive and Scandalous Trademarks," New Orleans Bar Association Procrastinator's Program, December 2016.
"Sticks and Stones May Break One’s Bones, but Words Can Ruin a Business: Protecting Your Client from Commercial Disparagement," Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel Winter Meeting, March 2016.
"Offensive Trademarks: What's In a Name?" Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel Winter Meeting, March 2015.
"Innovation Trumps Imitation: Outrunning the Bootleggers," Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel Annual Meeting, July 2014.
New Orleans Bar Association Entertainment, Intellectual Property and Technology Committee CLE Program, July 2014.
"Crimes of Fashion: SEC Violations, Criminal Counterfeiting, Labor Law Violations and More in the Fashion Industry," New Orleans Bar Association Procrastinators' Program, December 2013.
"Shoe Wars: The Fight to Copyright Fashion," New Orleans Bar Association Procrastinators' Program, December 2012.
"Status of Pending Bankruptcy Legislation," Prime Time CLE's Bread and Butter Issues Seminar, December 2001.
"The Legal Aspects of Catastrophic Injury", Louisiana Sports Medicine Society, December 1997.
- United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- Louisiana Federal and State Courts
Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University, J.D., 1995
- Order of the Coif
University of Mississippi, 1992