Intellectual property is a dynamic and complex area of the law. Cutting-edge IP practice requires the kind of acumen and depth of experience that Stone Pigman lawyers bring to the table. Our practice encompasses virtually every aspect of trademark, unfair competition, copyright, trade secret and false advertising law, applied to new technology as well as in more traditional contexts. We also represent clients in a broad array of matters relating to patent rights. Whether obtaining patents, litigating claims of infringement or licensing disputes, negotiating and drafting licenses and other contracts, or assisting in decision-making about and protection and enhancement of IP assets, Stone Pigman's Intellectual Property Practice Group provides the highest quality legal service.
Our clients are diverse, ranging from local start-ups to established international businesses, and coming from a wide array of industries, including manufacturing, wholesale distribution, entertainment, franchising, home furnishings, professional sports, higher education, medical research, alternative energy, insurance, banking, restaurant, software development, non-profit, and many others.
The firm's practice in this area spans four decades, but the following are representative examples of IP work we have accomplished for clients:
- New Orleans Saints. Represented the New Orleans Saints and the National Football League in a controversial case involving the ownership of the phrase "Who Dat."
- Coffee Trademark Infringement. Defended Green Mountain Coffee Roasters in a trademark infringement lawsuit brought by Community Coffee relating to Green Mountain's "Taste of Community" community spaces revitalization grant program.
- Pharmaceutical Licensing Issues. Prosecuted litigation to successful settlement on behalf of a major national research university against pharmaceutical companies for breach of licensing and other agreements, correction of inventorship and related claims arising out of pharmaceutical research venture.
- Pizza Advertising. Defended Papa John's® Pizza slogan in a false advertisement suit alleging that Papa John's advertising slogan violated the false advertising laws.
- Registering and maintaining global patent and trademark portfolios.
- Obtained by Consent Decree in federal court a permanent injunction prohibiting trade name/service mark infringement in litigation on behalf of Clockwork IP and Mister Sparky Franchising, national franchisors of electrical repair, installation and related contracting services for residential and commercial customers.
- Procured remand to state court of lawsuit removed based on a counterclaim seeking to assert claims for copyright infringement against C & C Boatworks based upon the use of allegedly copyrighted plans to manufacture ocean-going vessels and furnishing such plans to inspectors as required for regulatory purposes.
- Represented Shurfine Foods, in a federal lawsuit that resulted in entry of a consent judgment against the declaratory action plaintiff prohibiting it from (among other things) using the name SUREPHARMACY in connection with pharmacy services and any other marks confusingly similar to those of our client.
- Assisted an affiliate of LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton, Inc. in resolving a trademark infringement dispute.
- Successfully obtained a permanent injunction in federal litigation on behalf of Goodwill International prohibiting trademark, service mark, and trademark infringement of its registered GOODWILL mark.
- Acted as intellectual property counsel for national franchisor of group art instruction outlets, Painting With a Twist and its affiliate, Corks N Canvas, from inception in 2008, as it has grown to over 60 franchises, furnishing trademark, copyright and related advice, trademark clearance, registration, policing, and copyright registration services, and representing the companies as plaintiffs in litigation relating to domain name, trademark, copyright, and false advertising issues.
- Served as local counsel in patent infringement litigation, representing Nordex, Inc., manufacturer of alternative energy devices, and Innovention, manufacturer of high-tech games.
- Defended Smart Deals, Inc. and JoJo Designs, national manufacturer and distributor of infant and toddler products, in federal trademark infringement litigation and successfully procured transfer of case to the client's domicile on grounds of forum non conveniens.
- Drafting and negotiating the following types of agreements on behalf of clients: software licenses, trademark and trade secret licenses, supply and product development agreements, and patent and trademark license agreements.