- Acts as intellectual property counsel for national franchisor of art instruction and entertainment studios in both litigation and non-litigation matters.
- Defeated trademark infringement claim brought by Lieutenant Governor of Louisiana seeking to restrain national advocacy organization's maintenance of billboard parodying State's tourism logo.
- Represented major national university in defense of complex class action and individual actions brought by relatives of persons donating their bodies to the university's medical school for medical education and research purposes.
- Represented a national insurance company in a trademark infringement case. Prevailed on summary judgment and entered injunction by consent decree.
- Represented a rug manufacturer in action against rug wholesalers for design infringement and prevailed in appeal to U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. Peel & Co. v. The Rug Market, 238 F.3d 391 (5th Cir. 2001).
- Represented national non-profit service organization in trade name dispute with competitor.
- Represented national coffee company in trademark infringement action.
- Obtained federal court permanent injunction by consent decree in favor of national franchisor of electrical repair, installation and related contracting services.
- Represented ship manufacturer and procured remand to state court of lawsuit removed to federal court based on counterclaim for copyright infringement.
- Represented national grocery chain in service mark infringement lawsuit resulting in entry of consent judgment imposing permanent injunction against adverse party.
- Defended national manufacturer and distributor of infant and toddler products in federal trademark litigation.
- Represented local carpet company in defending trademark infringement claim asserted by national retail electronics chain.
- Currently representing oilfield industry machine and supply company and employee in claim by former employer for electronic trade secret theft.
- Represented a NASCAR racing team in action brought by a national sponsor for trademark infringement in using sponsor's trademark on racecar after sponsor purported to cancel sponsorship agreement.
- Acted as local counsel in patent infringement suit involving wind towers.
- Represents attorney disciplinary authority as copyright counsel and in arbitration relating to defective telephone system.
- Represented a national food manufacturer in trade dress dispute with competitor regarding product packaging, including claim of exclusivity in use of color.
- Represented a produce wholesaler in trade dress action alleging infringement of packaging and display materials.
- Represented a refrigeration wholesaler in a suit against a competitor seeking injunctive relief and damages for trade name infringement.
- Represented a major insurance company in a suit brought by the Louisiana Insurance Commissioner seeking declaration that elements of Louisiana law creating the Division of Administrative Law and procedures for conducting and appealing administrative hearings are unconstitutional. Prevailed in Louisiana Supreme Court. Wooley v. State Farm Fire and Casualty Insurance Company, 04-0882 (La. 01-19-05), 893 So.2d 746; 2006 La. App. Lexis 292 (La. App. 1 Cir. 02/10/06).
- Represented major national university in lawsuits seeking to recover for breach of patent licensing agreement by Swiss and French pharmaceutical companies, both of which were settled on terms favorable to the client.
- Served as chairman of arbitration panel, sole arbitrator or panel member in numerous arbitrations, including international construction arbitration involving dispute over construction and erection of cranes at the Port of New Orleans and arbitration involving a dispute between a national hospital corporation and physician groups relating to ownership of health plan provider organization.
- Served as mediator in numerous substantial commercial matters, including various trademark and copyright infringement disputes.
- Represented a software developer in copyright infringement action wherein the client was alleged to have infringed competitor's file format.
- Represented a local fast food chain in dispute with national chain alleging trade dress and copyright infringement in design and configuration of building housing retail outlets.
- Advised two major insurance companies regarding trade names/service mark infringement issues.
- Represented a regional bank in a suit to enjoin a national insurance company from using a service mark to identify its variable annuity on grounds that the defendant's mark was confusingly similar to the federally registered service mark used to identify its line of mutual funds.
- Represented local furniture manufacturer defending claims by national furniture manufacturer for trademark and trade dress infringement.
- Represented regional restaurant chain in opposition proceedings brought before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board by a national food manufacturer.
- Represented environmental services firm in dispute regarding infringement of logo.
- Represented local carpet retailer in dispute with national electronics retailer in trademark dispute.
- Represented eleven high-tech companies in the joint defense of a trademark action involving digital imaging products and commercial photographic services.
- Represented Louisiana bank in negotiating, structuring and concluding settlement of claims by other banks relating to losses incurred on participations in loans originated by the client bank.
- Represents manufacturers of respiratory protective equipment in mass tort asbestos and silica cases over a period of 25 years.
- Represents pump manufacturer defending Louisiana asbestos litigation.
- Represented energy investment company in appeal of judgment exceeding $100 million based upon unfair trade practices.
- Represented major construction materials manufacturer as plaintiff in RICO action brought against claims service representing class action settlement claimants in asserting claims.
- Represented the FDIC in pursuing recoveries for professional liability arising out of the failure of a number of financial institutions in the State of Louisiana.
- Handled numerous cases involving insurance coverage issues.
- Represented Oregon Insurance Commissioner in connection with the liquidation of an insurance company domiciled in Oregon with business centered in Louisiana.
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
- International Trademark Association member, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee member, Pro Bono Committee member, and former Co-Chair of the Academic Subcommittee of the Membership Services Committee.
- Mediation training from the Attorney-Mediators Institute, the Association of Attorney-Mediators and advanced training at the Pepperdine University Law School Straus Institute.
- Commercial Arbitration Panel member.
- American Arbitrator Association Mediation Panel member.
- Served on the Panel of Neutrals of the International Trademark Association.
- American Bar Association's Dispute Resolution Section Intellectual Property Committee former member.
- Louisiana State Bar Association member.
- Louisiana Bar Foundation member.
- He has been approved to act as an arbitrator for the National Association of Securities Dealers.
- Steve has provided services for local pro bono agencies, is a volunteer for various charitable organizations, and served on the Board of Directors of WRBH Radio for the Blind and Print Handicapped.
- Chief Counsel of the Governor's Pardon, Parole and Rehabilitation Commission, 1977-78.
- Since 1999, Steve has served as an adjunct professor on the faculty of Loyola University New Orleans College of Law and currently teaches a course in Copyright Law.
- Since 2004, he has been a member of the adjunct facility at Tulane University Law School and currently teaches a course there in Negotiation and Mediation Advocacy.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America 2010 – 2021.
- "Lawyer of the Year" New Orleans for Intellectual Property Litigation.
- Louisiana Super Lawyers 2007 – 2021.
- New Orleans Magazine "Top Lawyer" 2012 – 2020.
- 2006 International Trademark Volunteer Services Award for advancement of Committee Objectives.
News & Events
- Co-Author, "Pro Bono Work: What's in it for You?" INTA Bulletin, Vol. 70 No. 8 (2015).
- "Proving A Claim Under the Federal Trademark Dilution Act - Are the Courts Diluting the FTDA?" 3 Loyola Intellectual Property & High Technology Journal 1 (2000).
- "Trademarks and Trade Names: Choosing Among Alternative Remedies for Infringement in Louisiana," 46 Louisiana Bar Journal 392 (1999).
- "Surveying the State of the Mediative Art: A Guide to Institutionalizing Mediation in Louisiana," 57 Louisiana Law Review 885 (1997).
- United States Fifth and Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Louisiana Federal and State Courts
Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University, J.D., 1975
- Omicron Delta Kappa
- Order of the Coif
- Senior Associate Editor, Louisiana Law Review, 1974-75
University of Southwestern Louisiana, summa cum laude, 1972
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Mack Barham, the Honorable James Bolin and the Honorable James Dennis, Louisiana Supreme Court, 1975-76