David Rieveschl has a diverse practice representing clients in a wide variety of transactional matters. His primary areas include corporate and business, mergers and acquisitions, and securities law. His clients include large and small companies, both public and private, as well as emerging companies, startups, and individual entrepreneurs. He counsels these companies on a wide variety of business issues including legal structure, financial transactions, contract negotiations, intellectual property rights, angel financing, venture capital, and private equity transactions.
Notable matters he has handled include the representation of multiple investors as Louisiana counsel in their successful acquisition and financing of a Louisiana public utility holding company in a $4.7 billion deal that spanned the course of multiple years.
David is head of the firm's Business Section and chair of its Emerging Companies Group.
- Represented group of national aggregates mining companies across all aspects of their business operations, including general corporate matters, mergers and acquisitions, contract negotiations, transportation, real estate, minerals law, environmental law, labor and employment, and litigation.
- Represented early-stage venture capital fund focused on companies developing commercially promising life sciences technologies with emphasis on those originating in Louisiana or relocating to Louisiana.
- Represented leading Louisiana-based venture capital platform in acquisition of Series A Preferred Stock of technology company that helps non-profit organizations increase capacity and enable enterprises that deploy billions of dollars to scale impact.
- Represented medicinal marijuana pharmacy through all aspects of offering and sale of preferred equity to group of investors.
- Represented marketing and advertising agency in investment in life sciences company, including negotiation of terms of investment and marketing services agreement pursuant to which target company engaged services of investor following closing of investment.
- Represented leading medical and security services company as Louisiana counsel in connection with sale of business to provider of medical solutions and personnel to off-shore oil and gas industry.
- Represented owner and operator of paddlewheel boats through all aspects of sale of equity to strategic investor.
- Represented elevator services company in sale of business to private equity buyer.
- Represented large private equity buyer as Louisiana counsel in $210 million acquisition of marine liquids terminals group of companies with operations in Louisiana and other parts of United States.
- Represented multiple investors as Louisiana counsel in their successful acquisition of a public utility holding company based in Louisiana. Involved in both the acquisition and financing of the deal, which spanned the course of multiple years and was valued at $4.7 billion.
- Represented publicly traded health care company in its $76 million initial public offering.
- Advised gaming company in: (1) restructuring of Louisiana subsidiaries through multi-step process of mergers, conversions and liquidations, producing projected Louisiana tax savings of approximately $3 million per year; (2) issuance of $500 million worth of senior notes in connection with corporate refinancing; and (3) amendment of credit facility extending existing facility by $1.5 billion.
- Represented retirement community in connection with $30 million revenue bond issuance by St. Tammany Public Trust Authority to finance construction of new facilities.
- Represented oil and gas exploration company in acquisition of multiple offshore oil leases located in Gulf of Mexico and production payment purchase financing arrangement to fund workovers of existing wells.
- Represented company engaged in the importation, distribution, marketing and sale of wine, including its initial rounds of financing, trademark protection of brands created, and negotiation of wine supply agreement and trademark cross-licensing agreements with Chilean wine company.
- Represented leading global provider of on-demand electronic messaging and transaction services, including its $67 million acquisition of major competitor and $70 million senior convertible debt offering.
- Represented telecommunications holding company, including its $201 million senior convertible debt offering and $81 million acquisition of group of Louisiana-based cellular tower companies.
- Guided publicly traded energy company through tax-driven corporate restructuring.
- Represented specialized supplier of biofuel energy systems engaged in the design, manufacture and construction of biofuel combustion plants for the production of heat or combined heat and power for clients in North America.
- Represented startup venture engaged in the production and distribution of cellulosic ethanol.
- Advised developer of clean combustion technologies for biosolids and other organic wastes in its offering and sale of up to $42 million of Series B Preferred Stock to group of United States and international investment funds.
- Represented leading provider of automated wide-area surveillance, guiding it through its sale to leading provider of energy and environmental solutions, building controls, fire safety, and security systems.
- Oversaw bank holding company's $48 million sale to publicly traded strategic acquirer.
- Represented publicly traded bank holding company, including its $23 million acquisition of strategic target.
- Guided publicly traded bank holding company through going private transaction.
- Represented multiple nonprofit educational institutions in Louisiana government bond financing transactions.
Professional & Civic Activities
Professional and Civic Activities
- Louisiana Chapter of the Association for Corporate Growth (ACG Louisiana) Board Member and Past President.
- Tulane Association of Business Alumni (TABA) Board Member.
- Council for a Better Louisiana's (CABL) 2021-2022 Leadership Louisiana participant.
- David is also an active member of Louisiana's entrepreneurial ecosystem, and he works with several organizations that support emerging companies and startups, including the Lepage Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation at Tulane University and the Louisiana Technology Park.
- American Bar Association member.
- Louisiana State Bar Association member.
- New York Bar Association member.
- State Bar of Georgia member.
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia member.
- He is also active in numerous other civic and community organizations, including the alumni associations of Tulane Law School, Tulane's A.B. Freeman School of Business, Duke University, and The Lawrenceville School.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- New Orleans CityBusiness Leadership in Law 2020 honoree.
- Best Lawyers in America 2015 – 2022.
- Chambers and Partners 2012 – 2021.
- Louisiana Super Lawyers 2013 – 2022.
- New Orleans Magazine "Top Lawyer" 2013 – 2021.
- Silicon Bayou News 2013 "Silicon Bayou Top 100."
- Paul Masinter and David Rieveschl Selected for New Orleans CityBusiness 2020 Leadership in Law Class10.15.2020
News & Events
In the News
Speaker, "Dealing with Distress: M&A Strategies for Financially Troubled Companies," Webinar, June 2020.
Speaker, "Mock Venture Deal Negotiation," Venture Capital University LIVE South, September 2019.
Speaker, "How to be Successful in the Investor Dating Game," Baton Rouge Area Chamber's Small Business Series: LA Tech Park Investment Readiness Workshop, July 2019.
Speaker, "Equity Investment Structures in Early Stage Companies," Webinar, April 2019.
Moderator, "Building Effective Entrepreneurial Ecosystems," Association for Corporate Growth, Louisiana's Taste of New Orleans Capital Connection, October 2018.
Speaker, "Successfully Monetizing Digital Operations: An Introduction to Negotiating Software Development, License & 'as-a-Service' Agreements," New Orleans BioInnovation Center, September 2018.
Speaker, "Venture Capital Term Sheet Negotiation Panel," Louisiana Veteran Entrepreneurship Program, February 2018.
Speaker, "Early Investment Outlook," ACG Louisiana's Taste of New Orleans Conference, October 2017.
Speaker, "Cannabis and Its Medicinal Potential: State of the Research and Policy," Alcohol & Drug Abuse Center of Excellence Research Center at LSU Health, December 2016.
Speaker, "Innovation Louisiana 2016," Innovation Louisiana and the Louisiana University Technology Showcase, November 2016.
Speaker, "Equity Crowdfunding," Louisiana Technology Park, August 2016.
Speaker, "New Orleans BioInnovation Center Spotlight on Louisiana Research" Joy Theater, November 2015.
Moderator, "Private Equity Exit Strategies," Association for Corporate Growth, Louisiana's Taste of New Orleans, November 2015.
Speaker, "Delaware South? What You Need to Know About the New Louisiana Business Corporation Act", February 2015.
Co-author, "Renewable Energy," Recent Developments in Public Utility, Communications and Transportation Industries, American Bar Association, 2013 and 2012 editions.
Speaker, "Innovation Louisiana 2013," New Orleans BioInnovation Center, November 2013.
Panelist, "Building Better Entrepreneurs: Generating the Best Talent through Education," New Orleans Entrepreneurship Week, March, 2013.
Speaker, "Financing 101: Start-Up and Early-Stage Funding," New Orleans BioInnovation Center, March 2013.
Keynote Speaker, "Introducing the Benefit Corporation: A Step-by-Step Primer on Becoming a B Corporation in Louisiana," New Orleans Chamber of Commerce Green Committee Seminar, August 2012.
Organizer/Presenter, "Emerging Company Boot Camp," New Orleans Entrepreneur Week, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 2011.
Panelist, "The Idea Village Entrepreneurship 101 Series," January 2011.
- District of Columbia
- New York
Tulane University Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1997
- Order of the Coif
- George Dewey Nelson Memorial Award recipient
- Managing Editor, Tulane Law Review
Tulane University A.B. Freeman School of Business, M.B.A., 1997
- Morton A. Aldrich Scholar
- Levy-Rosenblum Institute for Entrepreneurship TABA Community Service Award recipient
Duke University, B.A., 1991